Their Masks (Lexi's and Justin's)

Lexi wondered if something was wrong with her.

Today was supposed to be a very sad day. She was heading to her father's funeral. Any daughter would have been reduced to a heap of tears.

But she didn't know where to look for any happier girl than herself.

Her older sister and mother were in the same vicinity. They had spoken to each other and decided to come to an understanding for the sake of the man they both loved. Even if her father wasn't here, he was still doing his part in bringing the family together.

On the drive down to the field where the ceremony was to be held, she couldn't help smile when the two most important women in her life kept sneaking sideways glances at each other. She knew Mitchelle and her mother were two peas in a pod.

Obviously, forgiveness was not going to be given today.

But her mother had accepted to pretend. She had taken the first step in giving Lexi hope of a brighter future she had thought lost.

The ceremony was quite short, but that was to be expected when there were only four people besides her family in attendance, one of the four being the minister.

A few words were spoken by the three former soldiers who knew Lexi's father. It was a comfort to know that her father was a great man even in the eyes of other people.

The time to scatter the ashes was taxing on her emotions and nothing could stop her tears from spilling. Lexi wondered if she ever told her father how much she truly loved him. Did he really know how much he meant to her?

There would be no knowledge of that. She could only take comfort in the fact that his three girls were all here together to bid him farewell, just as he had wanted it to be.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

Lexi knew that voice. But what was it doing here and not in the hospital where its universe was lay?

"Thank you, son," her mother spoke absent-mindedly as she continued to stare in the direction that the ashes had blown with the breeze.

"Justin, what are you doing here?" Lexi asked as she pulled the boy a bit of ways beyond the small crowd. She didn't want to see him now. She was not in the right state of mind to fend off any desires he would arouse in her.

Justin didn't think the funeral would be over so quickly.

He had almost gotten lost when that guy at the gas station gave him the wrong turn off. But he had somehow gotten to the meadow just in time to witness the send-off.

That was something he never thought would look this peaceful. The blond cheerleader and her family all held each other for support as the ashes scattered in the wind.

It reminded him greatly of the three women he had lost in his life. And about the two he was supposed to call his family now.

He had not planned to speak to anyone. That was not part of the deal he had made to come here. But there was something about the blonde cheerleader that led him to the group. Even now as she asked him why he was here, he didn't know the exact answer to it. So he said the first reason he could identify with.

"You shouldn't be alone at a time like this. I came to make sure you weren't."

Lexi didn't want to give in. She didn't want to let all those memories of the past summer make her will bend so easily. But there was no way she could not respond to Justin's caring thought. He must have been always attentive to her if he knew about this ceremony. Lexi had not told a single soul in her cheerleading squad.

And she was glad that the boy was here.

"Thank you for coming, Justin." She spoke as she embraced him.

Everything felt right in his arms.

Everything felt insignificant at this moment she was in. The moment his arms held her, she knew she was living a dream. Only a fantasy was apt in making sense of the fact that Justin Mani cared for her bland mask.

But Justin knew this was no dream. This was the reality of what lengths he would go to please the woman he loved. He had finally told her everything.

That period he had spent thinking she was gone from him was a wake-up call. He could lose this love of his any moment in life.

Things didn't exactly go as planned, but Justin knows she needs time to understand why exactly he is perfect for her. For now, he had to make sure all the masks that Gwen loved were taken care of.

He felt lucky that he knew Lexi well enough to know she was no different from all the fake girls who wanted nothing but the sheer satisfaction of dating the mask that is Justin Mani.