See I Told You

That Weekend
It was something about this race weekend that gave me a good vibe. Ever since we pulled up to Dover International Motorspeedway a good feeling washed over me. Then once the cars hit the track and Jimmie was fastest in all three practices, then qualified third, I knew why. It was just something about the way the forty eight car drove around the track that gave a warm feeling. Of course I have kept this to myself not wanting to squash Jimmie's hope if it all should go to shit today. I stand on pit road with everyone else, excitement for the race building. Driver intros are done and I see Jimmie making his way towards me and his car. Our engagement was well recieved at HMS. Everyone happy that we were finally happy, together. Our friends especially Jeff were over the moon. Jimmie and I talked about whether we should let everyone else know. We came to the agreement that we would try to keep me under wraps but in the NASCAR community that can be tricky. By the congrats we started to receive from various drivers Friday, I would say the news got out. So there really is no reason for us to keep it quiet. A press statement will be released tomorrow. Am I nervous yes and no. I really don't care what people say or think. We love each other and that's all that matters. Also the whole Maria debacle never reached the ears of anyone but who already knew. Thank god.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Jimmie's voice breaks me from my trance.

"Just thinking." I say.

"About?" Jimmie asks coming to stand beside me.

"Just things." I reply and lean over and kiss him. The kiss lasts longer then it should.

"Okay love birds break it up." Cliff says making us pull away. Everyone lines up for prerace ceremonies. I take my spot next to Jimmie and he takes my hand in his. He leans over and whispers,

"This is your place now. By my side forever." I look up at him and reach up to kiss him but the start of the invocation makes me stop. I take my free hand and wrap it around Jimmie's forearm. When it's all said and done Jimmie pulls me in for a kiss then a hug.

"Good luck." I whisper then when we pull away I kiss him one last time.

"I love you." He smiles.

"I love you too." I let him go and walk to the pit box, taking my sit on top.

The race went by pretty quick due to not a lot of cautions. Jimmie has been running great. First stage ran anywhere from second to fifth. Second stage lead every lap but two and won it. Now it's five laps to go and he's pulling away from the second place car of Joey Logano. Knots have settled into my stomach and I have picked up the bad habit of spinning my engagement ring around my finger when I become to nervous.

"Four to go at the line bud. Keep as you are and the race is yours. Your doing perfect champ." Cliff says over the radio. I sigh.

"What?" Cliff asks.

"Wish you wouldn't put it out there." I can't help but let some negatively show. The last time this happened, things went to hell in a hand basket.

"Jimmie said you would say that." Cliff says chuckling.

"I'm sorry. The last time he was close it turned into a shit show. Just can't help be a little."

"Apprehensive?" Cliff finishes and I nod. He reaches over and squeezes my hand.

"He'll be fine." I nod. Three laps to go. Still in the lead. Two laps still leading but Joey is quickly catching up. White flag. My stomach tightens. He's going to do it, he's going to end this two year winless streak. When he crosses the line and takes the checkered flag, the pit box erupts in cheers. The crowd erupts in cheers. I jump up screaming just as bad. The whole pit crew jumping onto pit road, huging and high fiving one another. He did it. He freaking did it. He stops in front of the flag stand and starts his burn out. Tears begin to stream down my face. Pride over whemling me. He jumps out of the car, pumping his fists in the air and cheering. He pulls his helment off and runs to get the cheeckered flag. His crew running to their driver.

"Come on." Cliff says stepping down. I step down with him and he gestures to his celebrating driver and crew.

"I can't. I have to be in victory lane. I need to get interviews." I stop when I look behind Cliff to see Jimmie has stopped celebrating with his crew and has let them amongst themselves and is looking at me. All sense left me and I run towards him. When I reach him he picks me up and swings me around in his arms. When he puts me down on my feet he cups my face and kisses me. Cheers erupt through his crew and the crowd. When he pulls away he says,

"I did it." I smile and place my hand against his cheek.

"I told you, you would." I say and he kisses me again.

"I love you." He says.

"I love you too." Things are finally clicking into place.