Prologue

Cady paced up and down whilst talking to her mother on the phone, who was clearly stressed about the fact that her 16 year old daughter was out late to meet an older boy whom she'd never met before.

"Look mum, you've got to let me make my own mista-" she was cut off as she bumped into a tall boy with brightly coloured hair and pink, plump lips. Cady didn't need clarification as to who it was because she knew.

The boy took a step back and looked her up and down, she could not tell whether he was checking her out or admiring how unattractive she was. Her breath hitched in the back of her throat as this is what she was most scared about, him not finding her attractive, it would just deteriorate everything.

Cady was aware of how cold it was now and she deeply regretted not bringing a jacket, but she was so unprepared for this last minute plan that a jacket was the last thing on her mind. Cady looked up at the boy, she admired how tall he was, at least 6 foot, she thought. His hair was dyed a deep yet bright red and his lips were so pink she thought he could be wearing lip gloss.

They had both been standing there for several minutes but neither had said a word to the other, however, it was not an awkward silence, Cady could not put her finger on what atmospheric emotion was filling the air. She was 99.9% sure it was her friend of 3 years, she just needed to hear his voice to know for certain.

"Michael?" her voice was barely a whisper but she knew he heard her.

"Cady..."