THREE

I entered my home, still in a daze. My head was pounding from either the confusion or the alcohol...or both.

"And where the hell were you all night," my mother shouted from the living room as I walked past it.

"I told you I was going to a party," I answered.

"And you said you'd be back home later last night, it is now 12 noon the next day," she said, standing up from the couch with hands on her hips. "Care to explain yourself?"

"Trust me, I can't explain anything about myself right now."

"Look, I know you're 18 now but you can't have me worried sick like this."

"I'm sorry. I just wanna go shower."

She was about to speak but she paused, seemingly defeated. She raised her arm in the direction of the stairs, letting me pass.

"That girl is going to put me in the hospital," she ranted to my father who was reading a novel in his chair. Dad usually kept out of these conversations considering he trusts me more than she does.

"Technically speaking, she already did. When you went into labor," he chuckled.

I silently laughed to myself as I continued to ascend the stairs.

In the shower, my mind, my heart, and my soul were all battling each other. My mind was telling me to be logical and break up with Chase before I do any real damage. My heart told me to straighten the fuck up and delete Jack's number. And my soul was on the fence. It would light up with joy whenever Chase was around but Jack made it do backflips without tiring out.

As the hot water beat on me, I replayed Jack and I's moment over and over in my head. My eyes were closed as they were filled with the constellations of my daydreams. What do I do? What should I do?

After my shower, I fell asleep in my towel. My phone rang around 7:56 PM, shaking me out of my deep slumber.

"Hmm," I groaned into the phone with my eyes still closed.

"Babe," Chase chuckled. "Were you sleeping?"

"Mmhmm." I woke up a little more. "But it's okay, hey you."

"You can go back to sleep. Just wanted to call and tell you I'm back home."

"No, no, it's okay." I slowly sat up. "How was fishing?"

"Kind of sucked for me but dad caught a sea bass," he beamed.

"Oh, well that's cool. Was that dinner?"

"We threw it back in. Had tacos for dinner."

"Ah."

I began to fidget, my leg couldn't stop bouncing. Should I tell him? Should I act like it never happened because I'll probably never contact Jack? ...I think?

"What did you do all day," he asked.

"Oh nothing. Just showered and slept."

"Yeah I called you pretty early this morning, sorry baby," he said.

"It's not your fault," my voice softened. "Nothing is your fault...you're perfect."