NINETEEN

Lauren POV

The shower sex was mind-blowing. Now we were lying in bed in towels, cuddling. It was comforting having him close, no problems in the world to bother us. He was healed, free of Emilia, and free of any kind of criminal record. I was putting my troubles behind me. It was just us now and the warmth between us. I love him so much and I know he knows it all too well.

"So, Mia Foster is back in town and is throwing this lavish, fancy New Year's Eve party," I said.

"Oh yeah?" He said, kissing my fingertips.

"Yeah. It's black tie and I want you to be my date, of course. I need a New Year's kiss."

He hummed and kissed me. "I can't baby," he responded.

"What? Why?"

"I have family coming in from Omaha and they wanna spend it with me."

I can't even protest or argue with that. I'm not going to be selfish and tell him to choose me over his family, I'd never do that. But I was still sad about it. Last New Year's Eve I had no idea my then-boyfriend Chase was tonguing down another girl. I didn't have to worry about that with Jack. The old me would probably think he was lying but I'm free from any old negative feelings stemmed from my sham relationship with Chase. I trusted Jack and he trusted me despite everything I've gone through.

I sighed and pushed back his damp hair with my fingers.

"You look sexy with your hair pushed back," I joke.

He laughs. "Don't start quoting Mean Girls, babe."

"It's my right as a human being to always quote Mean Girls," I chuckle.

He smiles and suddenly pulls me on top of him.

"Oh well hello there," I said.

He pokes his lips out and I kiss them over and over again.

. . .

I invited Shawn, Mahogany & Matt to Mia's party although Shawn wasn't able to make it. Mahogany and I opted for little black dresses. It seemed like a classic NYE option. Matt opted for a black tuxedo and a top hat, he felt like being dramatic knowing he was showing up to a ball with one girl on each arm.

What made this party different than the rest was that it was a mixture of people our age and older adults. Her parents were there so they had invited people they knew as well. Those of us that were under 21 were supposed to have sparkling cider while the rest had champagne. But the Australian bartender, Liam, was cool enough to sneak us some bubbly. I suppose that's all thanks to Mahogany since she flirted with him practically the entire night. 

While she chatted up with Liam, Matt looked a little jealous and almost protective of her. When I brought it up to him, he denied it, shrugged it off and went to scout out random girls at the party; most of whom blew him off. Poor Matt. But he was adorable and eventually found a nice brunette to talk to. As long as it wasn't his ex.

I found a seat on a nearby white chaise lounge. I was bored, I felt lonely, and I took a few selfies to send to Jack before playing with my gold bangles. I was on my 3rd glass of champagne but I was barely buzzed. Servers walked around with silver platters of various hors d'oeuvres. There was bruschetta, caviar (which I didn't touch), jalapeno poppers, deviled eggs, mozzarella sticks, shrimp cocktail, oysters (which I also didn't touch), and potato skins.

I felt the lounge puff up a bit beneath me and looked to my right to see Chase sitting there sporting his crisp black suit & hands in his pockets. He comically sighed and looked around until he looked at me.