1 TROUBLE IN TWO

6.1 DOGGY DOG WOES: In which Tikum's plans go to its normal course- A fight and a beating happens- Something is lost and something is gained- And the pursuit for the most important thing continues

"Is this your grand plan?" Amburukay shook her head as she sat at the corner while a score of warrior serfs armed with keen spears surrounded the town hall. Or what was left of it.

But the mean-looking timawas were not of Ulay's, Amburukay realized. Well, at least they were not the ones the manghihiwit bested the night before. Unlike the Ulayans, their helmets and armors were covered with platings from hardened turtle shells, all decorated with baybayin markings. Green sashes wound around their hips embroidered with white crocodile designs. But the detail that stood the most for her, was their fine lacquered shields– all were held aloft at shoulder-height at the ready, bearing the symbol of the river-god.

They were probably the neighboring allies of the Toad King, out to exploit his sudden absence, Amburukay guessed. She hissed a curse. Another complication, another pause. Another factor to slow them before they could save Ukok from Sri Kihod. Them. She still couldn't believe that after all she's gone through for the past weeks. No. For the past years. This... them, happened. She gave her former foe and newly-found ally, Tikum, a sharp glare.

"I was not expecting my head on a pike today," she said. "But things seem to go that way. Any ideas why?" She glanced at the long-haired man sitting at the center of the ruined hall of Ulay.

He no longer had his black putong on his head and letting his hair loose made him more mangy, in a way, almost like a feral dog. Fading bruises and fresh scrapes spotted his tattoed body and there was a weariness in the man's eyes. The manghihiwit caught him wincing as he massaged his tattooed shoulder, trying his best to ignore Ambu's goading. But she knew it was getting through him. She knew his mind was now working harder to prove her wrong.

Amburukay yawned. "You really don't dissappoint."

"Hey, don't think like that." Tikum sighed. "Not yet." Suddenly the Black Dog smiled. "Did you do what I told you?"

"You don't give me orders."

"Argh. Just keep me posted if you regain your abilities back. We still need to find Ukok after this."

"If I could track our daughter on my own I would've found you both sooner. All this wouldn't have happened." She made it sound like a threat.

Tikum closed his eyes in exasperation, pausing for a few breaths to focus his mind. "So, you mean to say... you could only track Kihod? How? Through the channels winding from Gadlum? Is that it? Does he need to use black magic for that to happen?"

Amburukay raised a brow. She still hated him for all he did, but watching him work through things using mere guesswork and intuition was laudable. What he lacked in magical power was vastly overcompensated by how fast his mind worked. And he wasn't wrong. Everytime another manghihiwit pulled and channeled his or her powers from the dark realm a light is lit in the darkness. The more power is taken, the brighter the light. How Tikum almost figured that out, she will never know. His mind was his weapon, she thought. Twisted, it may be, it was useful. Useful in many devious ways.

She yawned again. "Let me deal with it. Stop torturing yourself by thinking too much about the arcane. People may start calling you mad dog instead."

Tikum sniggered. "Was that a joke?"

"Oh, enough banter! You said, you'll get me an army. I don't see a single soldier willing to aid me right now? Atleast not these lot around us. Why is that?"