1. Helsinki, Here We Are

**Chapter 1**

"Can anybody please explain why we had to move in this lifeless City?"

"Taylor, honey, my partner lives here"

"Oh, right.. Is he cute at least?"

"You're gonna love him!" my foster mother says.

I don't like changes. I get that it's not something bad at times but I just don't like it. I have problems making friends, I'm shy and not an outgoing person, and nowdays no one comes to you saying 'Hey, I wanna be your friend' as it happened in the firsts grades. In the new school I'll have to live with this 'problem' over and over again.

Janice, my foster mother, is such a cute person, she got me when I was 16. I was surprised, you know, people always want the youngest children, and I get it, so I'm really thankful to her.

She knew this man few time ago, Joel, a Finnish man, and she fell in love. She seems so happy and it makes me quiet happy, too.

They spent the summer together while I was camping with my school friends, and few weeks ago he asked us to move to Finland, so, here we are.

My mother told me that Joel has a son, I don't know how I will deal with it, having a step-brother, I don't wanna disappoint her so I'll try to make it right with him.

"I heard that it always rains here and that the temperature can reach the -32 Celsius degrees" I say, she smiles,

"It will be fine, don't worry.. I know it's hard restarting from zero but we're strong, we can do it" she quietly says running her fingers in my hair,

"What if he doesn't like me? Or his son?" I ask looking down,

"They'll love you.. Almost how much I do" she says kissing my forehead.

"How will we do with the language, mom?"

I forgot about it, a new language. I learnt a bit of Finnish this summer, my mother told me the basic things but now it's all about the language, a lot of things I don't know, a lot of new words I don't understand.

"We know the basic things, remember? We will learn the rest day by day, no need to worry about it, honey" she says smiling.

She always can calm me down, I don't know how she does it but she really can make me feel relaxed and calm, I love it about her.

The train stops, a sign says 'Helsinki',

"Here we are, baby, ready?"

"Not really"

"C'mon!" she says as she pulls my arm.

We grab our bags and get off the train. Cold wind, cloudy sky, nothing like San Diego.

"I'm freezing" I say tumbling,

"Come here, honey" she says as she hugs me and gives to me a warm jacket,

"Uh! My favorite one! Thank you, mommy!" I happily say.

We get into the railway station waiting for Joel, I don't even know how he is, I mean, I never saw him, not even a picture.

"Janice!" a man yells running towards us, it must be him,

"Joel, babe!" she yells back as they hug and kiss.