prostitutes with polaroids

"Piper hurry up, would you?"

I take in a deep breath of cold night air while ignoring the angered ticking of stilettos against the pavement of the street.

"Easy for you to talk! I don't see you wearing a mini skirt or heels of eleven inches high!"

I throw an uninterested glance over my shoulder to see Piper holding her arms out in an attempt to keep balance as she wobbles further over the sewer grate. With a deep sigh, I grab her hand and guide her over it.

"They're not eleven inches high."

She releases my fingers the moment she's standing on even pavement again.

"They so are!"

From behind us the faint glow of red and blue lights pass by with the distant howling of sirens. My eyes keep following it until the hue of colours dies out behind some dark corner of the street. Piper quiets down as she sees what I'm looking at.

"Police car" she comments unnecessarily as she wraps her arms a bit tighter around herself. A concerned look etched in the crease of her brows. Her knees keep bouncing against each other in an attempt to keep herself warm. I look at her throughly.

"No worries, they won't come here." I assure her and grab her wrist again to pull her further.

She grimaces while peeling a lock of brown hair out of the stickiness of her bright red lipstick and throws her head like a dog to the side to get all her chopped bangs out of the wind and out of her face.

"Stop walking so fast, how can you be this quick with such tiny legs?!" she exclaims while pulling on her skirt as it keeps creeping upwards.

"Piper?"

She perks up a bit at the mentioning of her name.

"You're like the worst fake prostitute ever."

I barely miss the sharp point of her stiletto aiming for my foot.

"Shut up!" she laughs as she gives me a rough push and I can't help the idiotic grin that spreads over my face. Without embarrassment she hoists her bra back up again at the straps.

"If you're wearing the super comfortable outfit that I'm wearing," she says sarcastically, "you would speak very differently mister Di Angelo."

I throw my head full of gelled down hair back and scoff, "You and I both know I'd totally rock that outfit."

Piper raises her eyebrows and gestures down at herself.

"Well, be my guest if you want to switch!"

I turn back around and straighten my leather jacket a bit.

"Another time maybe, I really want this mission to succeed."

She hurries after me and hooks her arm into mine in an attempt to follow my pace. Without another word we keep walking further. Her warm, frail body is tightly pressed against my side, shivering with every gust of freezing wind.

"I'm freezing my ass off." she says through the clattering of her teeth.

I glance up at her, she's easily half a head taller than me on those shoes.

"You'll get my jacket after we've got the info." I assure her and she grins with longing eyes at the leather stretched over my shoulders.

"And I can go home on your boots?" she tries to push a bit further, hope glistening in her colourful eyes. I sigh deeply and watch how my hot breath forms a small cloud against the pitch black night sky. Deep down I can barely suppress my amusement.