2. Ambush

Xander's POV
The smell was the first thing I noticed, pungent and vile. Vampires were walking corpses, rotten blood from their feasts laced the stone walls.

My men had surrounded the area, scattered around the castle. I could hear all of their racing heart beats as they waited on my call to action. Of course they were scared of what was to become of this, we were going in blind. We didn't know who was guarding the castle, but it seemed completely untouched from a far.

The sun was setting and it was the perfect time to attack, they still won't be able to come outside for another hour. We were at an advantage. My wolf stirred with excitement, he wanted to rip them apart, to destroy their secret weapon.

We both did.

Glancing around I nod to my beta, he whispers to other surrounding him that the time is right. Suddenly, I hear a door opening and a middle aged woman appear in to the gardens, she was human. Sympathy clouded my judgement as I peeked my head up more to get a better look. My eyes grow wide as she sees me. But she doesn't do anything but look away.

I watch her as she pulls at some growing weeds and places them in her basket. I could hear her heart racing, I couldn't sense any fear and my mind grew confused. She glances my way again, her face showing no emotion. Our eye contact lingers until she lift up her hand and signals me to follow her.

"Please," she whispers and I could how desperate she was. I pounder for a moment, trying to figure out if she was tricking me. "You must save her," I could her the amount of pain in her voice, the vampires must have someone she cares about.

What should we do Alpha? Charlie mind links me quickly, I stare down at the ground wondering, this could be our chance.  The maid could lead us to the secret weapon without any commotion, it would be easy.

I will go, I will follow her. I say back to him, he nods at my authority and then tells his men to back away. Make sure you stay here for back up, be ready.