Rough Waves

Title: Rough WavesAuthor: shellzelsGenre: Teen Fiction and RomanceRead: 25 chapters

Title: Rough Waves
Author: shellzels
Genre: Teen Fiction and Romance
Read: 25 chapters

I really like the title of your story. It's incredible how you could find a title that's original and keeps the idea of Teen Fiction story at the same time. And to make it even better, it also is able to fit the story in a special way, thanks to the connection between the main characters and surfing. is different and original, being able to keep the idea of a Teen Fiction story at the same time and also fitting the story because of the love of the main characters towards surfing.

And let's be honest, the idea is cliche and there's no doubts about it but it's really difficult to do not have a cliche idea when talking about a Teen Fiction, Romance story and that's okay. A cliche idea doesn't mean a bad story, not at all, and can, in fact, lead to a lovely, interesting story if the writer knows how to take advantage of it.

And do you know what? You knew how to take advantage of it, how to create a very good story. The plot is really, really good, cliche and original at the same time, giving to the story a very good balance between them and that's sometimes hard to find.

Let me explain that better because I think I must clarify it very well. The cliches - even if some people think otherwise - are not always bad. They are cliches because people like them, because people can relate with them. But not all of them. A bad, really bad boyfriend? It's okay, many people had one or know someone who had one. But a terrible, uncaring mother or father? The most part of the people have normal parents. And, no, I didn't choice that examples out from no where. It's to clearly to explain the difference between a useful cliche and a cliche that's not necessarily good. Since the very first moment when Maddie's mother appeared I liked their relationship, a lovely, healthy mother-daughter relationship.

And that's not the only not-so-necessary cliche you chose to do not use. I liked how you let us see something that does not usually appear in a book - a bad kiss, a bad kisser. Because we are not good kissing, people who is kissing for the first time is not that good doing so, they can be really horrible in fact and that's okay. And I know (and since you wrote the story I hope you also do) that it was not the only thing you showed us from a bad side. I'll not refer what I am talking about because I don't want to give spoiler but I hope you know what I am talking about. The thing is, I liked how you showed the bad side of things usually presented just in their good sides.

The really good characters and their good development is also something that helps the improvement of your story. It's good to see that you did not forget Maddie's mother while you advanced with the story and that she was always there as a mother should be.

The pace is also good, allowing a good development but never making the story bored.

And I can not forget one of the better things in your story! The written. It is amazing, you write really well in the first person. The way you're able to show us Maddie's thoughts, feelings and actions is very important to assure a good comprehension and connection with her. It was so clear, so well-explained and so well-written that I loved to read about her, about the way she tried to move on while she fight her own heart.

Unfortunately, there are also mistakes and things I think that are strange...

>> Beginning. Waste an entire chapter to describe your main character is not necessary at all. You've a lot of talent and as so I think you could have described her in the chapters, while the action is happening. Yes, it gives a different way to see the story when you begin reading, but it also waste the potential of a good, strong beginning that's many times an important thing to assure some readers' attention.

>> Grammar. There are some mistakes in your story. I informed you about all I found but of course I could have missed some. An easy way to find them is asking someone else you know to read your story and help you finding them because even if you can do it alone, there will always exist mistakes that the writer will not notice.

>> Describe Maddie through a mirror. Not necessary. There are many more original ways to describe your character even if it is more difficult when you're writing in the first person. Put other people describing you through dialogue or say something like my eyes remember me of my father's ones, while remembering him. I don't know how you imagine her father and that's just a random example not necessarily related with her. A mirror, even if it's an available option, will make you risk to describe her too perfect risking an egocentric girl or too bad to do not seem an egocentric girl but making her look like a no-one-likes-me type of girl.

------------------------------
Conclusion
------------------------------

Although done grammar mistakes your story is really good and has a lot of potential. I know I already said that but I loved the balance you could find between cliche and original and that let you create such beautiful mother-daughter relationship.

After all that it's not difficult to guess that I am looking forward to see how your story continues.