Ch. 3

So, a lot more content in this chapter. Any feedback is appreciated! Hope whoever reads this enjoys it!

Ch. 3

We had walked a couple of blocks before Sam broke the silence.

“Did you get my message on Facebook?”

“Yeah, sorry I didn't respond. I was busy that day and it just slipped my mind.” I started looking at the sidewalk, trying to avoid stepping on the cracks to keep myself occupied.

“So, where were you all summer?” Sam said, trying to keep up the conversation.

“I already told you. I was at home, taking care of Zack, but mostly sitting in my room.” I became focused on a rock and kept trying to kick it forward.

“Oh, cool. How old is Zack now? It’s been so long since I’ve seen him.” I gave up on the rock.

“He’s nine and he’s about 4”5’ and he’s convinced his parents to dye his hair brown.”

“Really? I forget what color was it before?”

“I forgot, you met him only once. His natural hair color is blonde.”

“Blonde to Brown? Interesting.” Sam kept looking at me, my guess was that he was trying to guess what I was thinking about.

“I thought so too.” I looked up at the sky and watched the white clouds pass by.

“Still not calling them your parents, huh?” I rolled my eyes.

“Why should I? They are not my parents nor will they ever be.” Sam laughed at me. “What are you laughing at?”

“Nothing, it's just with that negativity, I’m surprised you have friends.” Sam paused then added another comment. “You may not think so but, you know you can always talk to me. I consider you one of my best friends and maybe someday, we can be more than that.” My eyes widened.

“What are you talking about??” Sam laughed hysterically.

“Nothing, I just wanted to see your reaction.” I punched him in the arm.

“You're an ass!” We continued walking till we reached the house.

I kept thinking of his comment and wondered if he was actually serious or not. I hadn't said a word since I punched him.

Sam walked me to the door when he paused.

“Look Thorn, you know I was joking about the whole 'more than friends' thing, right?” I dug into my cluttered backpack for my keys.

“It’s fine, Sam. Very funny joke.” I said, too afraid to look at him. I was suddenly nervous, afraid that he might have actually been serious.

“You okay?” Sam said, sounding worried.

“Yeah, Sam. I'm fine.” I was annoyed and wanted him to leave.

“You are a bad liar, Melissa.” I stopped looking for my keys and froze.

“Sam... You know better than to call me that.”

“Why? You know thats your name.”

“That's not my name.” I grew angry, flashes of my past going through my head. I began to look for my keys more angriliy. Sam began to put a hand on my face and I swatted it away. I finally found my keys when Sam spoke.

“I will never understand why you changed your name. Changing your name isn't going to change what happened. Why can‘t you accept that?” I threw my backpack and keys on the ground.