Chapter One: Charlotte

"Felicidades a los recién casados! Señor y Señora Amador!" the DJ announced.

That strange man stood in the center of the room holding the microphone and speaking Spanish. It was the first time that I have ever heard a man as white as he is, speak Spanish. Even more, his tuxedo was well kept, which I hated.

I don't know what it was, but I didn't like him. Maybe cause he's white? Perhaps because he knows more Spanish than me? Or is it because he's dressed nice?

I looked down at my bluejeans and then back at him.

    "Geez," I scoffed.

    "Vamos, Mateo," my brother Ernesto said, "They're doing the money dance. Vamos a bailar con Ana Maria."

    "I'll pass," I replied. Why would I want to dance? I know she's my sister, but they know I don't dance.

Ernesto danced. He danced well. He stood there, pinning a dollar bill on Ana Maria's dress then twirled her around like a princess.

I placed my head on the table to rest for a bit.

    "Pasas demasiado tiempo jugando juegos. Por eso estás cansado," my mother said. She pulled out the chair next to me and sat. "¿Por qué no bailas con tu hermana? ¡Ve a bailar con ella!"

I groaned and stood up to walk to where the food was. When I got to the table, I was disappointed to see that it was all gone.

    "Those fat pigs," I muttered.

Since there was no food, I suppose I should do as my mother said and dance with Ana Maria.

As I walked over to where my sister was, my attention turned to the entrance. The door cracked open and in came a girl. She wore a beautiful modest dress that stopped inches above her heels. 

With my eyes glued to this girl, I hadn't noticed where I was going and walked right into my sister.

    "Mateo?!" Ana Maria gasped. She stopped dancing with the man she was dancing with and turned to me, "Did you want to dance, or are you trying to steal the money off of me?"

    "Mom told me to dance with you," I replied.

    "So that's what this is."

She took my hands and placed them on her sides, putting her's on my shoulder. It was awkward. First of all, she's my sister. Why would I want to put my hands on her sides? Second, she's taller than me.

As I danced with Ana Maria I was able to hear my mother over the music saying crap like, "Que lindo," and "El primer baile de mi bebé es con su hermana." She's not wrong. This is the first time that I've actually danced with someone. Even as a baby, I'd always run away, playing it off as being shy. Nowadays, I usually hide in the bathroom or pretend that I was sick. Still, I know she's my sister, and I do love her, but I refuse to count this as my first dance.

I'm the type of person who wants things to count, you know, make a long-lasting, great memory. My girlfriend, Kairi, hates this about me. We've been together for three months now, and she's starting to think that I'm gay. She teases me over this, and then one day I got tired of it and kissed her just to shut her up. She seemed to like it. Now, whenever we're together, we're usually making out. Honestly, I think it's strange, but every time I tell her that she gives me the same reply, saying, "What? You really are gay, aren't you?"

After the dance with my sister, I went back to the where they had the food, hoping someone put more out to eat. Thankfully someone had because I was starving. I reached out for a plate, stopping myself after accidentally grabbing onto someone else's hand instead.