Chapter Two: Her Invitation

"Mateo," Mrs. Pearson, my math teacher said.

My head shot up from my desk.

    "Yeah?" I replied.

    "Please, stay awake during my class. This is your last warning."

But I wasn't sleeping. I was thinking. Specifically, I was thinking about Charlotte. Last week, when she came up to Cody and me, the way she asked us to stop messing with Jar man wasn't angry or anything like that. She said it with purpose, and calmly. Why? I wasn't, but Codys been bullying that friend of hers. Why wasn't she mad?

At lunch, I sat with Cody, Kairi, and Kaleb, another friend of mine. We just sat and chatted for the most part, just like every other day. I saw Charlotte walking by with the same two friends. I've been noticing her a lot lately. I guess Kairi saw her because she pulled me to her and starting kissing me. All Charlotte did was smile and wave.

    "You haven't been talking to her, right, Mat?" Kairi asked.

    "To who?"

    "Stop acting stupid. You know who!"

    "Charlotte? No. Not since last week."

    "Good."

Was it really good? Even though I haven't spoken to her in a week, I thought of her. Every time I see her walking by, I start having a strong feeling that I should talk to her.

After school, Kairi and I had plans to walk home together, but she bailed. She decided that she wanted to hang out with her girlfriends. "I can't be spoiling you every day," is what she told me, but I don't understand how she spoils me.

I didn't want to go straight home, so I just chose a bench at school and sat down. I pulled out my earphones and listened to music. After the first song ended, I looked up and saw that most of the other students had left.

    "Ugh," I groaned.

It hasn't even been ten minutes ad I'm already bored. Might as well go home. If I stayed here, there's a chance that Cody or Kaleb shows up and invites themselves to come over to my house. The house is crowded enough.

I stood up and began walking. I felt a tap on my shoulder, so I turned around.

It was Charlotte and the two friends she's always with.

    "You have a minute?" Charlotte asked.

    "Is Cody still bullying your friend?" I asked, "I'll be sure to tell him again."

    "No," Mason replied, "He's stopped."

Jar man finally spoke. This is the first time I've actually heard him speak. Hmm, he kind of sounds like a girl.

    "You know you sound like a girl, right Jar man?" I commented.

    "Oh my gosh," Charlotte giggled, "I'm sorry, Mason."

    "GEEZ!" Mason exclaimed, "You and Charlotte think the same thing!"

I smiled after noticing how close the two were.

    "Hey," I said, directing myself to Mason, "I'm sorry my friend has been bullying you. Just let me know if he starts up again."

    "Thanks."

Charlotte stepped in front of Mason, stealing my attention. Really?

    "Anyways," she sang, "We were wondering if you wanted to hang out with us tonight?"

What? Is she asking me out? No, she said to 'hang out.' Plus she said 'with us,' which means that Mason and the girl will most likely be there.

    "Sure," I replied.