Childhood Memories (Part 1)

Cry's POV:

It was one of the hottest days of the summer, but it didn't matter. Almost nothing mattered when I was with my two best friends - Felix and his older sister. We always hung out despite the weather; it could be raining, or it could be way too hot, but we'll always be outside together and hang out, having fun and making memories that we believed would last until we were on our deathbeds.

Pewds was the youngest of all three of us, with me coming in second, and his sister coming in as the oldest one. Felix was about four at that time, and I was around eight. Felix's sister, Signe, was about ten, and we thought of her as the one to pull us out of trouble. Our parents had met at a job, and we met by them, becoming friends instantly. We were childhood friends since he was age two, and his sister liked to hang around us, having nothing better to do as she followed us around.

We liked to give each other nicknames. For instance, I was "Cry." At first, it was something dumb - ChaoticMonki - and I threw a fit, wanting a cooler name. I don't understand why it was Cry, but I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. We called Felix "Pewdie," or "Pewds." He got that name from a name that he gave to his favorite stuffed duck. We called his sister "Bunny" because when I first saw her, she absolutely loved bunnies and had a lot of rabbit-related things - dolls, pencils, and even a coloring book with stickers of bunnies!

Felix's sister and I often liked to talk about Pewdie when he wasn't around to hear. We liked to talk about how cute his attitude was. He always felt embarrassed when we talked about him like that - like we were his grandparents who came over to visit, thinking he was the cutest thing on Earth.

I remember that Felix had run in to grab us a snack and some drinks, telling his sister and me that he had a special place that he wanted to take us. I was waiting outside in his front yard with his sister, sitting under the huge tree that provided some shade from the unforgiving, scorching summer heat. I was chatting with her about how Felix was such a cute, little boy - let's face it. He was so happy all the time, and the way his enthusiasm for adventuring, playing games, and learning always shined bright always amused everyone from his family members to friends like me.

I remember Bunny saying with a content smile, "I love Felix, and I love you. I love to be around you guys. You're the best." I simply smiled back at her, waiting on the boy to come back so that we can start our adventure. 

Once he'd returned with a bag full of snacks and drinks, we followed the blonde, who was skipping merrily to a forest with a huge smile glued to his face. We didn't want to break his spirit, so we didn't ask where we were going. Eventually, it seemed like we were going nowhere.

"Fe? Where are we going?" asked Signe, smiling a little at the smallest boy of our group.

He beamed. "We're almost there! Don't worry!"

We walked about the forest, shaking off bugs and trying to keep up with the energetic boy. Once we went pretty far into the forest, there was a creek trickling down beside us. Felix pointed to the creek and began moving his finger down as the creek got bigger and deeper.

"A river! I wanted to play in the river!" Felix cheered, placing the bag on a patch of grass near a huge tree. I immediately felt uncomfortable.