Chapter 2: Disowned Good-for-nothing Son

I walked through the small entrance to the cave. My eyes darted to the kitchen. If I wasn't noticed, I'd be okay. I dashed quickly and quietly towards the bowl of gleaming apples. I heard the door open behind me and my eyes widened with fear at the sound of my parents' voices. I grabbed one apple and stuffed it into the hood of my cloak. I turned around quickly as if I didn't do anything as they walked in. I had already sat at the table and was looking out the window, as I always do. They jumped at the sight of me.

"..... Nocturne..... We have something to tell you." My 'mother' glanced at my 'father' nervously. He nodded for her to continue, and she did. I hated them, and they hated me. I don't care anymore.

"We.... Have disowned you. Get out as soon as possible, please." It hit me like a hammer to the stomach. It was their job to keep me sheltered.

"W-what?" I asked quietly.

"GET. OUT." My father wasn't as nice. I hated them. I glared at them as if they would both drop dead under my gaze. I grabbed the few things I had and left. I figured I'd hunt for a few days. Maybe I could find a cave out there to live in. And die in. So I did. I packed what I had and hid it in a bush just outside of camp. I shifted and ran as far as I could, as fast as I could, away. The others, hunting at the moment, turned and watched me pass, confusion dotting their faces. Good. I. Don't. Care.

I finally stopped, out of breath, panting hard as I reshifted to get a drink of the cold water from the creek. I looked around me. It was too bright here, too dull and tasteless and I hated it. I hated everything right now. I started off at a walk, only walking straight ahead and around the tall, thick trees. I walked until something in the air around me changed. I looked up from the ground I'd watched. I saw pure darkness ahead, so dark I had to squint to see. Something moving caught my eye.

It was a girl. She had white eyes and black hair. It was cut short at the bangs, but still reached in front of her face, which was pale as paper. Tears ran down her cheeks and she brushed them away, sitting down on a log. Her outfit was simple: a turtle neck sleeveless tank top with a black skirt and leggings. It was raining over there and I watched silently as purple stained water washed out from a streak of her bangs, leaving them white. I stared. She felt my gaze and turned, blocking her eyes by what I guessed was from the light.

She finally removed her arm from her face, revealing that she was quite pretty. She looked at me in amazement and awe, as I assumed I was doing the same. She got up gracefully, her long leggings revealing scars. We both approached each other.

"Nac uoy klat?" She asked. I thought for a moment. (AN: Since they come from different places, read the words backwards!)

"Yes. Who... And what are you?" Her ears perked up at the sound of my voice and she paused while deciphering it.

"Ym eman si eciravA. EciravA kraD. Dna sruoy?" She asked. Avarice..... What a pretty name.

"My name is Nocturne...." I remained silent for a moment. "Why... Were you crying, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Oh.... Um.... It's a long story...." She replied in my language. How had she...?

"I'm a fast learner." She smirked. Voices, two of the same voices, sounded behind her, calling her name.

"Avarice-nee!!! Come out please! Father is working on healing him." They shouted. At the sound of their voices her eyes filled with fear and tears. She glanced back at me. Without thinking, I grabbed her hand and started to run. The footsteps were closer now, and I could tell they were following us. We ran and I found a dark opening in the rock. We entered it but they still followed. We all sat panting for a moment.

The boys both had purple hair and seemed to be twins. They leaned against one another.

"A-Avarice... Who... Is he?" They looked at me, baring their fangs, their ears lying back on their heads and their tails bristling. She stood in front of me, surprising me.

"Not your enemy, brothers."

"Sorry, sis. We were just worried." They slumped down shamefully.

"It's alright; we're triplets, we have to stick together.

W-what?!