The Beginning

On a beautiful fall day, Kimberly is anxiously awaiting the mail to come. She is stressing over if she got the letter or not. This will prove to be an extremely important day in her young life. Kimberly has been waiting for this day since she first applied for her dream school. Her mom Luisa is also waiting for an important piece of mail. Her mail is not as important as Kimberly's. The mail is placed in the mailbox. Kimberly starts running as fast as she can to get the mail. The mail will be still there even if she walked, but she is just that excited. This might be the day where her life changes forever. She was waiting for a possibly life-changing letter. She had applied a few months ago for one of the most exclusive writing schools in the country. She finds an envelope that says Sports Writing Academy on it. She knows she must wait to read it until her family's meeting that night. Kimberly is excited to see if she has a chance to go to the Academy. All future writers dream of going to the Academy but only 200 can get in every August. Kimberly hopes she wrote a great application essay. A few hours later, it is time for the Jones' family meeting. Kimberly asks her family to sit down to their kitchen table. Her mom stands up and says, "I think Kimberly has something important to read to us."

"Yes, I do." Kimberly says as she stands up. She tells her family that she has been given a spot in the entrance exam and interview. Tristan hugs Kimberly and says congrats. Jamie tells Kimberly that she will miss her older sister. Jamie has always had a strong relationship with Kimberly. That's why Jamie doesn't want Kimberly to leave but Jamie also understands if this is what Kimberly wants, she should go for it. It is not like they would never see each other again. There are four family weekends hosted by the Academy, per the school website. There is only a slight chance that Kimberly gets in.

The Academy has 200 spots available in the first-year class. Each year, the Academy receives over 20,000 applications. They can only pick 500 applicants to move on to the final phase of the selection process. The selection committee immediately throws out any application with typos or dishonesty. The application required each writer to write a fictional story about a professional athlete. Each story is thoroughly read though. The reader makes notes on the ones that were exceptional. This will prove important because five of these stories will be chosen to be featured in the first issue of the student-ran newspaper. Each story is also checked for any plagiarism. The Academy is very strict about stealing someone's work. Kimberly's story is very unique and no other story is like hers. The reader of her story also loved it. The reader told the selection committee. She should get a spot at the Academy. Kimberly knows she has a talent for writing. She just needs to rock the exam and interview. Her dreams can start coming true. Kimberly is nervous that she will blow it but little did she know that she will be making her dreams come true by just having an interview.

After her meeting and a good night of sleep, Kimberly heads to school to tell her friends her news. Kimberly has always had a friend to talk about her dreams and aspirations. Maggie Peterson is one of those friends. She has always supported Kim but they will be separated if they don't get into the Academy together. Maggie cares more about her friend and getting into her dream school. Maggie applied and she also got an interview. Maggie and Kimberly both have exciting news to share. Kimberly tells Maggie that she got an interview wit her dream school. Maggie was shocked to know that they both had a chance to get into the same Academy. In a few months, the dreams of so many talented writers will either burn up or become reality.

A few months later...

Kimberly traveled from Georgia to take a risk that could influence the rest of her life. Kimberly heard that she was one of the few to be selected to go through the final stage of the admission process when she was thinking of applying for the Sunberry Preparatory Academy. This was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so she decided to take a risk. She wants to find out if she is good enough to get into the Academy.