Chapter 1

He stalked quietly within the Leaf-fall effected forest. OwlPaw's target, being a mouse, scuttled under the leaves, looking for stuff to eat. Good thing he stopped stalking in time and was blended in well with the surroundings, or else, when the mouse looked at him it would have ran away. Either way, he still would have caught it. The mouse stalked towards him a little more, not paying much attention. OwlPaw was downwind, so it couldn't smell him.

Then he had a thought pop into his head when the little mouse started eating away at a tiny nut. When our prey eats and we catch them, we basically ate what they had. He thought. Once the mouse turned around, not looking towards his direction, he outstretched his paw out, the mouse only being less then half a tail length away, and stepped on it.

The tiny mouse tried it's hardest to escape, but OwlPaw soon ended its suffering but swiftly biting it's neck. He then licked his jaws, and silently thanked StarClan for the prey. Tonight was the Gathering, so OwlPaw wanted to make sure he was fully fed before they left.

OwlPaw already had caught a plump thrush in a tree, and a squirrel, chasing it up the tree. With his mouth full, he made his way over to the meeting place, where his patrol leader JayStorm, told them to meet. JayStorm was also his mentor, so OwlPaw had to impress him.

When he got back BrackenFeather and JayStorm were already there. He set his mouse, thrush, and squirrel down, and looked out into the forest. What is taking DawnPaw so long? OwlPaw hissed in his head. "So, how did hunting go?" JayStorm's brod voice interrupted OwlPaw's thoughts. His ears flicked at him to pay attention, while BrackenFeather purred in amusement when OwlPaw dazed off.

"It went well. That mouse didn't even see, hear, or smell me coming." OwlPaw told him, but added the mouse part. His mentor nodded at him, and then turned his head toward the direction where he was expecting DawnPaw. "Good." He muttered.

Just because you are the Deputy, that doesn't mean you always have to act tough all the time! OwlPaw said in his head. He didn't think badly of his mentor, he just wanted him to be impressed by his apprentices work. Maybe even accepted him. All the other apprentices always told him how lucky he was to have the Deputy of ThunderClan his mentor, but in all reality, it's a pain in the tail, and he's pretty sure the other apprentices would aswell.

Then the patrol heard russling in a bush behind them. They all whipped their heads around to see DawnPaw covered in leaves while carrying a huge rabbit. "Bwck!" she muffledly said. She shook off the leaves, and bounded towards the patrol. Both JayStorm and BrackenFeather had looks of surprise. OwlPaw silently pouted. I wish that JayStorm was impressed... OwlPaw sadly thought.

DawnPaw then set her prey down, and looked up, "How'd I do?" she asked out of pure curiosity. BrackenFeather then purred so loud, that OwlPaw thought that RiverClan could feel the vibration on the other side of the lake. "That was an excellent catch!" He praised. DawnPaw's chest puffed out in pride. BrackenFeather opened his jaws to say something, but then was interupted by JayStorm. "We have to get back to camp if we want to make it to the Gathering on time." He mewed. The patrol nodded, picked up their prey, and padded through the forest they knew so well, and headed towards the ThunderClan camp.

Although OwlPaw envied her, he felt a fuzzy, warm, and fluttery feeling inside when he is around DawnPaw. Something about her makes him feel special inside. His mother, OtterSlip, always told him and his sister, HoneyPaw, how special and lucky they are.

OwlPaw and HoneyPaw were originally in a litter of three, but their brother died before given a name. HoneyPaw's heart is dedicated to be a Medicine Cat, while OwlPaw himself aimed to be a warrior. Both him and his sister was special in different ways, but because HoneyPaw had a special connection with StarClan, he thought she was better.