one.

"This issue is going to be late. I can see it." Harlow Jensen floats around my office as she knows our new issue of Cascade Fashion was a week late. "Oh god, we are gonna be late again."

I look up from my phone grinning at her, "Harlow, breathe my dear."

Harlow Jensen was 25 and brunette. Her smile was contagious and bright.

But her personality is what would always change my mood.

Harlow was also the little joy in my life. The only thing in my life keeping me running.

"Harlow, please slow down."

She paced back and forth looking at the print samples again as she started to mumble in Russian. Something she picked up in high school.

"LO!" I finally shout at her. "Enough, we will be fine."

Harlow stopped moving and finally looked back at me.

"We will not be late, or off with this issue. It will be fine."

Her little sly smile finally forms. "You shouldn't always be this calm."

"Pot helps." I grin back trying to get her to laugh.

"I actually hate you."

I laugh back at her as Olivia, the new assistant knocks on my door. "Come in Olivia."

The newly hired college student softly walks in, "I was told to let you know that he is here."

My eyes narrow, "He is here?"

Harlow stands up straighter, "This doesn't make sense, he who?"

Olivia steps to the side as his bright blue eyes enter the room first.

"Hello babygirl."

6 months earlier.

Harlow pours herself another cup of coffee as she reads over the gossip section again. "Oh I love how the papers are so excited over this stupid event tonight."

I check myself in the mirror again making sure the bruise was covered by my blouse but it wasn't. I roll my eyes grabbing a blazer as I walk out of my room of our Manhattan apartment.

Harlow rolls her eyes up at me, "Why are we going to this thing tonight?"

I grab a piece of bacon, "Because we work for a magazine that should be at these stupid events."

Harlow puts the paper down, "Are we sure?"

"Lo, we have to go tonight."

"I know but like maybe an hour or so and we will be gone."

Harlow looks down at her phone, "Why am I dating an idiot?"

I smirk looking at her phone, "Oh he is so cute Harlow."

"He is an idiot! He thinks I should be at home all the time and settling down with him."

"I thought you wanted that."

"Not with him." She snorts back.

I giggle handing her phone back at her, "I need to grab something from the bakery, I will see you at the office."

"Hey, everything ok?" She looks back at me.

"I need my good coffee and my good chocolate croissant."

Harlow narrows her eyes, "Promise to me?"

"I promise Lo, I will see you at the office."

Harlow finally nods her head, "Fine, I will see you later."

I grab my bag walking out of the apartment, leaving her alone as I head down the hallway to the elevator.

I look up as the neighbors door moves then shuts again as the elevator doors shut taking me to the lobby.

I unlock my phone to take a call from Olivia, my new assistant. "I am gonna be like 15 minutes late."

"Well there is a man here..."

"Like the delivery guy? Olivia who are you talking about?"

"He just said he wanted to speak to the editor."

I roll my eyes, "Olivia, just who is it?"

"He just said he would talk to you."

I shake my head waving down a car, "I will be there in 5."

Olivia ends the call.

I climb into the car mumbling to myself as the car starts to the building.

The elevator doors open to the offices as I walk in seeing it all black.

"Olivia?" I shout looking around as no one is around.

There is complete silence.

"Olivia!" I shout again.

There is a giggle then a crash.

"Olivia?" I walk around the corner seeing Olivia fixing her shirt. "What the hell are you doing?"

"The power went out."

The maintenance guy stands up grabbing his pants.

"So you fuck the electrician in my office?"

"What, no..."

I shake my head back at her, "Olivia, what man was here asking for me."

"Oh right, he is in the main conference room."

I glare back at the guy then at Olivia, "Jesus Christ, clean this up and get back to work. Both of you."

Olivia nods as she goes red.

I make my way down the hallway to the side conference room seeing him.

His back is to me as I enter the room, "You have been doing a lot here with her magazine."

"It was her dream to see this thing raise to the best fashion magazines in the world."

He nods his head keeping his face straight, "So the intern sleeping in your office is what high fashion is?"

I drop my head covering my face, "I am handling that."

"Handle it Brooklyn," he finally turns back to me, "handle it like you were trained."

The hair on the back of my neck stands up hearing his words and my name slip out of his lips.

He walks over to me keeping his eyes on me making me feel small, like when I was a child.

"Don't make me regret this Brooklyn."

He walks past me and out the door as the lights turn back on.

My breathing catches as my chest finally breaks.

I bend over catching myself on the back of a chair.

"Hey, what are you doing in here?"

I wipe my eyes hearing Harlow. "Just making sure the room is ready." I walk around her, keeping my face hidden.

She catches my arm, "He was here. Wasn't he?"

I look into her eyes, "Let me go."

"Don't cry over that man."

"That man, that man?"

Harlow steps into me, "He doesn't owe you Brooklyn."

"My father will always own me." My voice cracks. "He will always own me."

Harlow wraps her arms around me, "God, no, no Brooklyn."

I feel my body shake and melt into her arms.

"Brooke, please." She rubs my back. "Hey, it won't happen again."

I hug her tight speaking back in Russian, "It will never end."