12

When the Mouse is found before he can tattle

WHEEIN knocked on the door of Yoongi's room. When she heard the grunt of approval, she pushed the door open. Yoongi was now seated in a rocking chair, gazing out of the only window in the room. In his hands was a rosary of glass beads.

He opened his eyes and revealed the tranquility within them. She wondered how could the vibe in this room be so different when compared to the rest of the mansion. When he spoke, his rough voice was a complete contrast to the peaceful look on his face.

"Oh, you're the sister. Where's ye uptight brother?"

"He's busy investigating Mrs. Kim's, uh, death scene," Wheein croaked.

Yoongi beckoned her to take the seat before him. She settled herself in it before beginning with her questions but Yoongi beat her to it.

"So, it wasn' 'er, uh?"

Although his question threw her off, she could agree with his sentiment.

"Yes, it wasn't her. We don't know who it could be," Wheein admitted.

"But that's why you're here, eh? You still suspect it's one of 'em?" Yoongi asked with a sly grin.

"You got me there," Wheein smiled. "What can you offer that may be of help?"

"Nothin' but clews, missy. I ain't gonna know until I see the evidence; it's all jus' instincts and guesses," he scoffed. "And who's gon give an ol' nutter like me the evidence, eh? One oughta have a smart uniform and all like you folks."

Wheein took that he meant clues when he said "clews" and replied accordingly:

"People shouldn't judge a book by its cover. My brother for instance, likes to think that Ms. Son is very suspicious, because of her, well, mannerisms," she giggled.

"You're a smart gal, innit? Ye brother too, but jus' a tad short-sighted. She is iffy bu' not too much I reckon. At least, not in this case. Try digging up abou' 'er past, 'er resume and all; mayhaps you migh' find somethin' of interest. Otherwise, she's jus' a piece of interior decor tha' suits this sinful place."

"Thank you," Wheein said. "But that's not what I came here for. I wanted to know everything you could tell me about Park Jimin, the manservant. And of course, your take on the murders."

"Finally callin' 'em what they are, eh?" Yoongi chortled.

Wheein didn't answer. Her expression remained sombre.