3 | Hunger & Ese

Marcus hated his mother Bell, he would never admit it out loud but he did. Two occasions gave him a reason to visit her; hunger and Ese. Today it was both. The forty-five-minute drive to the country gave him enough time to rehearse his lines. He cursed Ese, his life, his childhood, his children, the people talking politics on the radio he even cursed the rain that had started falling.  It seemed Marcus hated damn near everyone except for Ese's dog, Molly.

Marcus's mother lived alone now, she had once shared her home with her sister Telly. Telly passed away many  years ago and all their children had long since grown up and moved out.

Telly was one of the many reasons Marcus didn't like his mother, his father Charlie hated his sister-in-law like a dose of poising, he convinced Marcus to hate her too.

Charlie blamed Bell's family for his financial ruin and misery. Even though he could never prove it he swore they were guilty of working obeah on him.

Becareful son, you have to watch out for your mother Bell and her wicked family, he would say.

Marcus drove hurriedly down the dirt road. The driveway that led to his mother's house was long and narrow. He didn't even try avoiding the potholes, his tires splashed through dirty puddles the entire way. By the time he pulled up the car was a muddy mess.

Marcus wasn't surprised to see his mother Bell knitting on the front porch rocking in her favorite chair, she was always making something. Her hands steadily moved in and out spinning a single vibrantly colored yarn.

Bell heard the the engine shut off and the car door slam but she did not look up. Few people visited her these days and even fewer brought good news. She knew by the way he was huffing that it was Marcus.

"Hey Mama," he grunted walking towards her. 

"Marcus, how you doing son?" she muttered still concentrating on her knitting.

"You cook?" he asked not even answering her question.

"Look in the kitchen," she replied pulling a long string from her ball of yarn.

The moment he arrived she started knitting faster.

Marcus went into the kitchen without another word. He fished around the cabinets for a plate and fork.  He  couldn't resist the smell, it was his favorite, stew peas with spinners and rice. Everything in the kitchen was silent except for the clanking of his fork against the plate. Five minutes passed and then it happened, "ahhh," he was full and let out a satiated moan.

Marcus pushed backed from the kitchen table, his chair scraped the hardwood floor. Bell could hear his every move, he gathered his dirty dishes, the fork fell on the floor, he murmered and fussed at it just like his father useto. He made his way to the sink and turned it on.

"Aww,"  he forgot the kitchen pipe gushed too much water. The water sprayed all over him and the counter.
He kissed his teeth and continued to wash his plate, dry them and put them away. The fridge door opened and closed suddenly. He poured himself a glass of cold lemongrass tea, she could hear him gulp then click his tongue from the sweetness. His sounda faded and suddenly, everything was quiet again.

Bell could feel him standing behind her, his energy set like a storm. He was full and ready to talk.

"What did she do now son?" his mother asked knowing that it was time for Marcus to throw his one man pity party.

"I can't stand her, Mama!" He stood in the doorway clenching his fist and gritting his teeth.

"Ese?" she asked as if he could be talking about someone else.

"Yes, that wicked woman Ese!" he minced no words when it came to her.

"What did she do this time?" his mother let out a laborious sigh.

"She is cheap, she wants to use all of my money and not spend hers," he blurted out in a childish tone.

"Is that so," Bell shook her head.

"Yes, what do you mean is that so?" he asked walking towards her.

"It sounds like your taking up for her Mama, I am your son," he protested.

This was nothing new Marcus hated when anyone, "took Ese's side."

"I hear you, son, so what are you going to do?" she asked tugging at a string that had gotten entangled.

Marcus walked off the veranda making a scene, curiously Bell never took her eyes off the string. She pulled at it, her beautiful design began to unravel. The louder Marcus yelled the harder it was for Bell to hear him. Things became blurry.

The ball of yarn that once sat on her lap had haphazardly rolled to the ground. Bell's aged fingers wrapped around the chair handle and her weary eye lids slowly began to close.

The sun was setting, Marcus was full and Bell was silent, he figured she was taking a nap so he decided to leave.

"Bye Mama." he said lowly making his way to the car.