Chapter Twenty-Eight

She heard footsteps clomping up the stairs. Her tears flooded her eyes and blurred her vision. He had betrayed her.

There was another noise. More footsteps. Running ones, thumping, shouting, screams now. She paid no mind, probably just another monster here to push her to the edge.

"SALLY HIDE!"

She jumped. It was Rayne. He sounded scared... Terrified.

"From you? Gladly." She hissed.

She heard the door to his room fling itself open. More loud footsteps.

"Sally darling... How've you been?" She heard his voice from the other side of the closet door. Rayne was silent.

A black substance oozed from beneath the door. Bubbling and boiling, getting closer and closer to her until she had been backed into the corner. It grew taller. Feet, legs, a torso, arms... A face.

"Where's Rayne?" She said. Her voice trembling but still strong.

He laughed. "Your stupid ass lover boy is about half past fucked up. So I took the opportunity to talk to you, doll."

She heard pounding on the closet door, but she couldn't budge. She was petrified with fear... For Rayne.

"SALLY GET OUT OF THERE!" He cried.

So he wasn't dead quite yet.

In a matter of seconds wood was splintering. The door had broken. She could see him now. A bloody Rayne leaned against the frame. His shirt had been slashed to threads, showing his mutilated torso sliced like a Christmas ham. His arms and legs were no exception. He was bloody all over, his once snow-white hair stained with his own blood.

He gagged, and coughed. Sputtering the red goo all over the floor in front of him.

"S-Sally dear. Get-" he was interrupted with another bloody coughing fit. "Get out of here... Kitten."

"RAYNE!" She dove between Frank's legs, barely making it to her dying Rayne.

"I-I love you sweetheart." He gagged.

"If you loved me you would take some scissors and run me straight through! I can't let you die like this! Not without me!" She cried.

"You... You can't die."

"I want to. I hate these things. I'll miss you."

Frank kicked Rayne until he collapsed. "Hate to interrupt this heartfelt parting but it appears I don't really care." He said, grinning.

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU! YOU CAN'T DO THIS! BRING HIM BACK OR TAKE ME TOO!"

She heard coughing, she looked down and saw Rayne gasping for breath. He was hanging by a thread now. Barely alive.

"I-It's alright angel... I have a very high pain tolerance. I love you."

She grabbed for the scissors by his bed and stabbed Rayne in the chest, killing him quickly to end his suffering.

"Eager to get rid of him are we?" Frank said.

Without even taking her eyes off of Rayne, tears flowing from her eyes like rivers, she brought the bloody scissors to her heart. She drew the blades out, and repeatedly jabbed . Looking down, into the gaping wound that was now her chest, she noticed that her heart was missing. She dropped the scissors and fell to her knees. She never felt physical pain.

The only pain she felt now, was knowing the boy who had saved her was the boy she had killed.