Tape one: Justin

My brother. My fucking brother.

Seth is back with my mom. So of course Justin is at Bryces. Do I have any other option? No. Justin doesn't want me at home, seth raised his hand to me the other week so I booked. I'm not here to be pushed around, I'm here to look after my mom. Hard to do that when Seth is here, but at the same time Seth is the reason I should stick with mom and keep an eye on her. But alas, look after number one. And that's me.

My brother has the same casette tapes that I saw in Hannah's room two nights before she killed herself. I saw them, I saw him listening to him. I saw him listening to the one with the bumble bees. He thinks that hes hiding it well, but not from me.

"Hey, Lay. Any plans for Halloween?" Bryce Walker, I've been avoiding him but like I said. Seth is back. Since Hannah's death he's been off. Well that's a given, no shit. But here I am, in his poolhouse. White t-shirt and jeans, my volleyball Letterman jacket that fits just a little better now. I've taken a break from the meds since Hannah's death, it felt wrong to be on it after that night.

"I uh, not sure. Lifes kinda scary right now enough, right? I was thinking maybe just something normal. Not like I'm going to any parties. Thought I'd stay at the house with your mom incase any trick or treater came by." I said back, feeling Bryce pat his hand on my back. It feels different now, no longer like a brother. But now his touch feels toxic. Like hes poison.

"No parties for the great Layla Foley? You're always the light of them, great entertainment," he says and gives me a strong look. It's true I love being around lots of people, I'm good at putting on a show per say.

"One of these days I'm gonna witness you drinking, man imagine that." Bryce finished, I cant seem to help the look that crossed my face afterwards before he got it. I was uncomfortable and winced. The smirk dropped and he sat on the chair by the dining table.

"What's on your mind Lay? Is it Seth, did he do something?" Nice save, Walker. Seem to pick up on context, huh. 

"Hannah." I replied to him honestly. I watched him shift in his seat while I walked to the table. Placing my hands on the counter top and staring him down. What he saw was not the impression of intimidating I was trying to give, but he saw something at least.

"Yeah, it sucks." Bryce said, voice low. He didnt seem to know what to say. I leaned down on my elbows of the marble counter and gave him a look.

"Do you know something about those tapes Justin has?" I want to know and I bet Bryce does. Hes guilty of alot and I'm sure he knows. He has to know something. The sunlight peeks through the window and shines down on Bryce, making him look innocent and calm. The glow on his face makes his skin radiant and beam.

He appears calm but on guard.

"Might be one of those bands he listens to." He says it as if it's a competition to see which one of us breaks eye contact first. He adjusts in his seat and slowly rises, I lean back up from my elbow and push myself up off the counter with the palms of my hands.

Without breaking gaze, maybe a soft blinks Bryce makes his way over here. 

Bryce raped me

Hannah's voice plays in my head and the look of fear flashes my face for a moment, Bryce even sees this yet he still walks over here. I slowly step backwards and my back touches the kitchen sink. Bryce keeps coming forwards, calm. He looks gentle and he looks friendly. It doesnt feel that way though.

"I'm just glad you're here, still. I know you two were friends." He wraps his arms around me and hugs me. I feel my arms go limp at our sides and I refuse to hug back. An idea crosses my mind to hug him back to hold up appearances, but I cant seem to make the muscles in my arm hug him back.