Liam

I guess it’s just right that I spend most of my days in the hospital. It doesn’t seem as revolting or as gloomy as before. It’s even quite therapeutic somehow. I was in a place full of people with broken body parts and I could sympathize with them. Of course, I try my best not to look like an emotional youngster in front of Mum. My heartbreak should be the least of her concerns.

I think I’ve been able to move on. Not hearing and trying not to hear from Dani certainly helped. She’d be better off with her new life if I’m not close by and making her feel guilty and all.

And this quiet and intriguing girl with a huge cast on her left leg while clad in a hospital gown, somehow kept my mind off Dani. I’d always find her tapping a cigarette stick on the table in the waiting room. It was the same brand as mine. Yet, I never see her smoking it. It’s been the same scenery for three consecutive days now and I was starting to get curious.

I was nervous for some reason and found myself gathering the courage to take the empty seat next to her. After counting to ten, I finally positioned myself beside her. Then, a female nurse stormed in. The girl swiftly pocketed the cigarette.

“What are you doing here?” the nurse demanded, her eyes glaring.

The girl merely flashed a smile at her. “Watching TV with healthy people for once.”

“Go back to your room, young lady,” the nurse ordered. “It’s time for your meds.”

“I seem to have misplaced my crutches, Lani,” the girl said, trying her best to look all innocent.

I stifled a chuckle but I already had this huge smile on my face. I’m sure she must’ve seen it. The nurse sighed and helped the mischievous girl up on your feet. She definitely saw me because she looked at me over her shoulder as she was being taken away. She even gave me a wink. I must say it was really cute.