A Slytherin In Ravenclaw's Clothing

The few weeks remaining before Hogwarts passed by in a blur. It wasn't long before Grace found herself on platform 9¾ boarding the Hogwarts Express for the start of the school year. To say things were interesting was an understatement. Aside from her very limited ventures into Diagon Alley, she'd never been around so many witches and wizards in one place before. And they were all just standing around, not walking along the streets in a hurry.

Grace, however reluctant to say goodbye to her aunt, made her farewells brief and ducked into the nearest train compartment. The platform made her uncomfortable and she needed to find a suitable train compartment that wasn't packed to the brim with strangers.

After searching a few train compartments, she found one towards the back of the train car that only had two people in it, one of which happened to a fiery haired boy wearing obvious hand-me-down robes. The other was none other than her brother. Hesitantly, she opened the door and asked if she could sit with them. Both of the boys said yes and she took a seat on the bench next to her brother, putting her across from the red-head.

"Thanks for letting me sit with you guys," She said after a moment of silence. By the look on their faces, they didn't seem completely used to sitting so close to a girl before, even though they had agreed to let her sit with them and had made no attempt to even hint to her that it wasn't okay with them.

"It's no big deal," The red headed boy answered with a shrug. "I'm Ron, by the way. Ron Weasley."

"And I'm Harry Potter," Her brother introduced himself with a small smirk. She had to bite back a smirk of her own.

"Really?" She faked enthusiasm, widening her eyes. "That's so cool. I mean, I've heard about you and that you were coming to Hogwarts this year but I never expected to actually meet you in person." She lied. She had expected to meet him in person, he was her brother after all, even if he didn't know it.

"I know, that's how I felt when I ran into him earlier," Ron explained. "He showed me his scar and everything." She looked over at Harry. He had messy jet-black hair that came with curly bangs which didn't cover his eyes, but covered his scar pretty nicely. It reminded her of their father's hair. She had noticed that it seemed naturally messy when she met him at the Leaky Cauldron.

Harry noticed her gaze and swept his bangs out of the way, revealing his scar. Unlike her own, which had healed over thanks to her aunt's magic, Harry's scar looked like it was only scabbed over and might start bleeding at any moment. It was interesting really, maybe it had something to do with a magical residue or something.

"Cool," she commented and Harry let his hair fall over his forehead again. She ran her own hand through her hair as a force of habit, letting a few locks fall in front of her face to reassure her that no one would see her scar.

A few moments later, the train's whistle blew and they started to pull out of the station. Grace tucked some of her hair behind her ear and pulled out her wand and started fiddling with it, a bored/nervous habit she had acquired in the past few weeks.

"Nice wand," Harry commented. Grace looked over at him as he pulled out his own. It was a very handsome wand around a foot in length. The wood was a darker color than her own and nowhere near the pale hue that hers possessed, but it was still finely crafted and attractive.

"Thanks, I like yours too," She replied, trying to be nice and encourage a conversation. "What kind of wand is it?

He thought for a moment before answering. "Holly with a phoenix feather core I'm pretty sure. What's yours?" He looked intently at her wand, as if it were made of diamond.