Death and Life

She took off running, faster than she had in her entire life. At a full sprint down the pavement, she could hear the soles of her shoes slapping against the cement. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him bursting out of the foliage at the side of the road, knife in hand. She picked up her pace until she was at a full run. 

She realized about 20 feet up the road that she wouldn't be able to just keep running, and fight or flight kicked in. She realized she'd have to outsmart him. The next few minutes would be the most important moments in her entire life. 

With a split-second decision, she came to a dead stop and spun around, facing him as he approached with his weapon. She reached down and picked up the first rock she saw. It was about the size of a half-dollar. 

He was approaching fast, laughing as he saw her pick up her own tiny weapon. He liked a good struggle. He was about 10 feet away when she swung. Her arm went in a full circle, twice, gaining momentum before she let go. 

"Too slow!" He thought. He easily dodged the rock before coming to a halt in front of her. 

"Wow, you're a brave one. Didn't expect that from someone of your stature." He chuckled. Her eyes got big as he moved closer, now just 5 feet away, near enough to stab her. She didn't move, her heart pounding in her chest, a million miles a minute. She could feel the blood rushing through her veins, pulsing in her head. 

"Don't... come... any closer. Please... don't hurt me." She gasped. 

"Ooh, honey. My intention was never to hurt you. I simply want to kill you, see?" He gestured to the knife with his other hand. He was around 6 feet tall, wearing a black t-shirt and blue jeans. His shoes were equally tattered as hers. His skin was dark, she guessed he was probably mixed ethnicities. Close up, you could even call him rather attractive. His green eyes had an crazy, wild look to them. 

She couldn't believe herself, but she stood her ground. Stared him straight in the eyes, almost as if she was daring him to do it. He didn't move. She started to get weirded out by his intense look. It was almost as if they were in a staring contest. It seemed that minutes, maybe hours passed by before he lunged. 

It seemed as if time slowed down. Her scream, his knife, everything was in slow motion. As if it was an instinct, she reached out and grabbed his arm, pushing it away from her. That bought her a few seconds. She backed away a couple steps before sprinting down the street. 

She didn't realize it until she'd gotten to her house.

Her escape had been far too easy.