C H A P T E R 25

We were the only ones at home. It was Sunday afternoon and Ava and I were the only ones at the house, taking care of Skye while we watched TV in silence. Cartoons flashed through the screen, but I didn't pay any attention to it because I was staring at Ava while mindlessly playing with Skye's hand.

Ava still wasn't on talking terms with me and no one bothered to question her about it any further. It's been weird not talking with her but I was getting the impression that we were going to talk very soon. I didn't understand exactly why she stopped talking to me, but I think it may have been because I blew her off at the hotel.

My stomach churned at the remembrance of it. She was my best friend for fuck's sake, yet I decided to get to that point with her and now? Ava wouldn't utter a word to me, she wouldn't even look my way. Right now, she was on her phone, scrolling up and down, not paying attention to whatever was going on around her.

"Stop staring at me, Joey." I grinned at my success and shifted in my seat on the couch then lifted Skye onto my lap. "Not until you have a full conversation with me, baby." Ava glared into her phone and I decided to put Ava down next to me and walk over to where Ava sat before sitting down next to her.

She instantly moved away from me, so I did the same. "Joey can you just leave?!" She screamed, frustrated. I smirked at her before putting my head on her shoulder, pissing her off further. She got up from the couch but I pulled her back down by her arm so she sat down again, that's when I spoke.

"Spill all your secrets to me, Ava. Tell me why your panties are in such a twist." I whispered. Her eyes turned into slits as her face turned angry and that's when she burst. She stood up and stood in front of me. "You want to know why I'm so pissed with you? You'd pay much more attention to some nerd who can't talk two words without getting flustered.

"She is a nobody and I'm someone who is more your type, yet you blew me off because of what? Why did you do what you did? You led me on to believe that you liked me, but then you stopped because of that nerd, didn't you? She can't give you anything, Joey. She's just some girl who'd rather be hiding in her book than interact with the world."

I just stared at her with an open mouth, not believing that a kind girl like Ava would say something like that about anyone else but then her motive, her motive was that she had a crush on me. How the fuck would you react when the girl who is your best friend confesses her hatred for someone who...well she had a crush on me.

The doorbell had rung and sprung out of my seat and practically jogged over to it before answering it. My heart beat slightly rose and my head slightly boiled when I saw that there was no one there, but whoever had knocked on the door had left a note on the doorstep. I bent down to pick it up, but quickly hid it when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Joey?" I turned around and glared down at Ava, who looked up at me with big eyes. Ushered tears had brimmed her eyes, but I scoffed instead of feeling sad for her. "Ava, you crossed the fucking line. I know I do so much worse, but you don't even fucking know her! You know, I hate to say this but you've become a real bitch."

Her lips parted and she lifted her hand to her mouth as she began to cry. She stepped away from me, but that only angered me more so I walked past her and into the front room. Thankfully, Skye was still sitting on the couch with her eyes glued onto the TV. Not taking another minute to think about it, I took her off the couch where she proceeded to cry.

"Those words just came out, Joey! You know me!" I ignored Ava and bounced Skye while I switched the TV off and made my way towards the kitchen. Skye was still bawling and Ava had followed me, saying just so many words but all I was seeing and trying to control was the rage and redness that dotted my vision.