Flooding tears

The leaden sky cried its tears flooding the surroundings, as a tear drop rolled down my pale face. I clenched onto what was the last memory of my mum, a loose piece of parchment that was rolled up and secured with a brown string. I gently untied it, the paper unfolding into my hands. My eyes glanced at the page, the unsteady handwriting swaying across the lines.
Closing my eyes, I saw her, a young woman that used a thin red fabric that she draped as her saree, the sort that would slowly slip off. How she sat on the cold pavement rolling out chapatis before kissing my forehead and saying goodbye as I left to school.
She was different, one who found goodness in the slightest things. She was always smiling despite her sorrows, but I knew her heart was bleeding on the inside with overwhelming thoughts and profound worries.
"Everything is fine," she would whisper in my ear before rubbing my back. I knew she was lying, as I peered over my knitted blanket at night, where the midnight oil had been burnt, and my mum would sit near the window crying.
I never asked if she was okay, instead just cried silently under the blankets myself. I remembered the day she was sitting by the wooden table, a yellow torch that hung from the ceiling giving her the little light she needed. I watched her write, her hands shaking as she wrote every word and watched her lips mutter words which I couldn't understand.
It felt like just yesterday, she was squeezing my hand tight and examining me head to toe before pulling on a humble but thin smile. I watched her head to bed, her knobbly knees struggling to move.
It was within seconds that she left the note on the table and disappeared only to be with me in my memories. She left me all alone as I helplessly wiped my tears and gripped onto her hand, not willing to let her go.
I was shaken out of my thoughts with a slight shiver that ran down my spine. The last sentence that read in big bold letters was "I love you dearly but I'm sorry I had to lie, I'm sorry I didn't tell you and I'm sorry I left you alone. Please forgive me, Love mum.
Shaking my head and holding the letter close to my heart I said "It's not your fault ma it's not your fault," I looked outside back at the rain that cried onto the surrounding's as another tear rolled down my face...

By Shama Deshpande (30/8/19)