1

Chapter 1

*August 2016*

"Are you going to the game?" A guy looked down at me, the two of us sharing the same pole as we stood on the crowded subway car.

"You think I'm on my way to Queens? This is the D train," I smirked up at him as he laughed, shaking his head. His black hood was pulled up and he had dark, polarized glasses blocking his eyes.

"Well sorry to disappoint, but this car is headed to Queens," he chuckled as I nervously looked around, quickly looking back up at the guy.

"What? Which car is this?" I gulped as he laughed, shaking his head.

"I'm just messing with you," he laughed loudly. "We're heading towards the Bronx," he smiled a big smiled as I nodded, smiling softly.

"I knew that," I giggled, looking around the car as I let out a soft sigh.

"Why are you heading to the Bronx? The Yanks aren't even playing today?" He gulped, his eyes still blocked by his sunglasses and part of his face invisible to me because of the shadows from his hood.

"My brother works in the Bronx. He works in sales for the Yankees. I told him I'd come and visit him since I'm off today," I smiled softly as the guy nodded. "My turn to ask you a question," I sighed, smirking up at him as he laughed.

"Shoot," he smirked, crossing his arms as he leaned against the pole that was separating us.

"Why the hell are you wearing a sweatshirt with your hood up on the subway in the middle of August? It's like, 100 degrees in here," I giggled as he laughed loudly, nodding his head. "Also, how can you see with those sunglasses on? It's so dark in here," I smiled as he shrugged.

"It's for the look," he smirked as I rolled my eyes, laughing softly. "So your brother works for the Yankees?" He gulped as I nodded.

"Yeah, him and my dad always loved the Yankees. Me, I'm the black sheep. I've always been a big Red Sox fan," I smirked as he laughed loudly, shaking his head.

"Wow, that's ballsy," he chuckled as I shrugged, clearing my throat.

"Ballsy's my middle name," I winked, smirking up at him as he laughed loudly. 

"What about you, do you work with the Mets?" He gestured to my blue Mets t-shirt.

"Yeah, I'm apart of the media team," I smiled softly just as the subway car came to an abrupt halt, sending me flying into the large man. I laughed softly, one of his arms around me, holding me close to him, while the other was holding onto the pole. I looked up at him with a soft smile only to have him looking right back down at me with a great big, giddy smile. "Thank you," I gulped, giggling nervously as I stood up straight, brushing myself off. 

"No worries," he smirked as I looked out the window of the door to see us at the stop for the stadium. 

"Well, this is my stop," I smiled up at him as he nodded.

"Hopefully I'll see you around," he smirked as I laughed, nodding my head.

"Right back at you, Judge," I winked, waving at him as I walked out of the subway car and into the crowd of people. I turned back when the doors closed and the subway started to move only to see the large man with his hood up and his sunglasses on smiling as he looked out the window.