twenty

I jumped awake hitting my forehead against something hard, my lamp was turned on illuminating my bedroom. "Addison! Stop yelling please." I gasped and looked at Max, he had his hands pressed against my shoulders, holding me down against the bed.

"What're you doing?" I asked frantically sitting up. I was sweaty and sticky, I immediately wanted a cold shower.

"You were yelling in your sleep." He said moving away from me. "I think you were having a nightmare."

"I'm so sorry," I said pushing my blankets off me. "What time is it?"

"It's just after midnight." I looked at my alarm clock and sighed. "Who's Elijah?"

"What?" Oh god. I could not have him coming here. I prayed that he didn't show up to my dorm.

"You were yelling his name. You sounded lost. Scared even." I could feel my palms sweating and the only thing I could get a strong grip on was the thought of Aidan.

"I don't really know who he is." I said softly. "He's a character in my book. I guess I was just dreaming of something-"

"I know when you're lying, Addison. You have this little tick." Max said and say back on his heels. He touched my left cheek with his thumb. "Your cheek literally ticks when you lie."

"I'm okay, Max." I said and climbed out of bed, shoving past Max's arm. "Listen, I'm going to go on a run, I'll be back soon. Go back to sleep, I'm pretty sure you have morning classes."

"Addison-"

"Max, I'm okay." I said and grabbed his hand, I pulled him until he was standing taller than me. "It was just a dream, I'm fine."

"Okay." Max sighed and looked at the ground, his lips tugged down slightly but he didn't say anything else except, "be safe."

"Thank you." I watched max walk out of the room and I quickly took off all of my clothes and jumped in the shower. The cold water felt heavenly against my skin, but I didn't treasure it for too long because I had an agenda.

I quickly dried off and changed into a pair of jeans and a Simply Southern T-shirt. I slid on a pair of vans and grabbed my lanyard with my keys on it. I sat on my bed to take a few deep breaths and to clear my mind when I saw the photo of Elijah and me. I moved the coaster off of it and grabbed it between my fingers. I looked at myself, but felt like I was starring at a stranger. Perhaps the kind of people on a greeting card, "welcome to Happyville" it'd say.

I shoved the picture into my Jean pocket and ran my fingers through my damp hair. After picking my phone off its charger, I quietly opened and closed my bedroom door and walked into the living space. I checked the calendar that we updated weekly to see when my first class was. Lucky for me I didn't have any.

I unlocked the front door and let it quietly shut, then locked it back and left to the parking garage. I climbed in my car and put the gear in drive.

-

I pulled into the pack houses driveway and parked a little bit on the grass beside Aidan's Jeep. I wondered if he was able to hear me pull up. "Aidan, please be awake." I said mostly to myself, hoping for a miracle.

I took my keys and phone and climbed out of the car, I began walking up to the pack house quietly. I knew that the wolves never locked the front door, they liked to be able to leave whenever they wanted to without having to unlock the door.

I opened the screen door and then paused to stop and listen if I heard anything. I pushed the front door open and stepped inside, there was absolutely no light from inside, it was completely dark.