°Chapter One°

~Twenty-One Years Later~

“No! You’re not using your powers! Transform!” The instructor screamed at Meiyin.

Sweat dripped down Meiyin’s back as she glared at the instructor. “How would you know what to do, you’re not an elemental.” She spat angrily.

A loud smack!, followed after those words along with a stinging in her right cheek. Meiyin gasped and blinked away the tears forming in her eyes. 

“If you dumb kids can’t form, we’ll just kill you.” He growled at her.

She glared at him, anger curling around her stomach as she watched him. She shut her eyes and took deep breaths to calm herself down and not to lose control.

“No, if anger is the only thing that will get you to use your powers, then so be it.” 

Meiyin was pushed to the ground hard, she held her hands out in front of her to stop her fall. A kick landed in her stomach, making her cry out in pain. She continued to keep her eyes shut tightly and tried to keep her mind somewhere else.

“Control it Meiyin.” A calming voice in her head warned her.

Another kick hit her in the stomach. She gritted her teeth and covered her ears, listening to the voice in her head. 

“Do not lose it right now, if they find out what you can do then the next step in their plan will be complete. Control it.” The soft female’s voice explained to her.

“I’m trying!” Meiyin screamed out, tears slipping through her closed eyes.

The instructor laughed at her obvious pain, thinking she was screaming at him. “Try harder.” He growled.

“Listen to my voice, Meiyin.” She instructed gently. “The plan we have will work. I’ve seen it, but there will be a lot more obstacles in the way. This pain is temporary. Think of freedom.” 

“Mr. Jones! That is not how we treat our children.” A voice boomed out, the kicking stopped, allowing Meiyin to breathe slightly. She crawled onto all fours and coughed up blood and clutched her stomach, glaring up at Mr. Jones. 

“I’ll kill you one day, and I’ll enjoy it.” She hissed hoarsely at him, making him laugh. 

“If you ever get that far.” He sneered.

Footsteps grew closer and helped Meiyin up onto her feet. Meiyin recognized her as the boss. She was the top dog, the one who had found out about everything and had decided to ruin their lives. Meiyin hated her too.

Miss Lowe flashed a fake friendly smile. “I’m so sorry you had to endure that Meiyin, but you must understand that we’ve waited years, five years for you children and now you are all sixteen but we’ve made no progress except for that fact that you can use your powers but they are weak.”

Meiyin coughed, blood spitting out in front of her, then looked up at Miss Lowe, giving her a bloody smile to which she grimaced at. “Perhaps you should actually let us out in the real elements and we may be able to harness our powers. Not you trying to drown me shit to see if I can breathe underwater, you nearly killed me before the instincts kicked in.” Meiyin growled lowly, as she hobbled along, still clutching her side.