I pipe the smooth vanilla buttercream frosting on to the chocolate cupcake in a neat swirl. I had prepared the buttercream hours earlier and used every might of my will to not eat it.

I set one of the cupcakes aside for Mindy, who asked me to keep one for her when it's her shift. I place the cupcakes on to the glass stand and wait patiently for customers.

A young girl in blonde pigtails and a blue tutu comes in with, who I'm assuming, mother.

She gives me a bright smile. "Can I have two chocolate buttercream cupcakes?"

"Sure", I reply and gently place the chocolate cupcakes for the shelf behind me into a bag.

"Your total will be $7.99", I tell her and she hands me her credit card. I swipe it and hand it back.

The little girl grabs the bag and opens it, taking a sniff of the chocolaty smell.

"Can I eat it?", the little girl asks her mother with huge eyes.

"Their not for us Nora, I already told you. They are for Aunt Selma", she says as she takes the bag out of her hand.

Nora complains as she is led out of the bakery by her mom.

Mindy swings in. "Howdy", she greets me.

I smile smugly. "Howdy? Seriously?"

She shrugs. "That's what my last tinder date said to me as soon as I arrived at the restaurant."

"Yikes."

She rolls her eyes and scoffs. "I know right, it was so weird."

She changes the subject. "Where's my cupcake?"

I point to it. "Right there."

She grabs the cupcake off the counter and takes a huge bite straight into it. "It's delicious."

I stare at her longingly. She notices me. "Oh did you want some too?", she asks.

I nod my head, eagerly, like a child. She takes the cupcake and cuts it in half, giving me one of them. I bite into it and let the sweetness melt in my mouth.

"Yum", I say, closing my eyes and licking my lips.

I turn to her. "Thanks, Mindy."

She smiles and whips her small blonde ponytail. "I'm the best."

Mindy is still dressed in her cheer uniform, practice must've just ended now.

"Mindy, when's the next football game?", I ask her.

"Today."

"What?! Then what're you doing here?", I ask her, bewildered.

She shrugs, completely calm. "Meh. I don't really care for it. I kinda just wanted to spend the night at your house."

"That would be awesome Mindy, but we could do that on any day. Today is your first game, we have to go, and if you're not going, then I'll force you."

She groans. "I hate you.... but fine."

I squeal. "We'll just tell Sally that we're leaving our shift early and we can head back to my house to change."

Mindy agrees.

"Okay, so go ask Sally", I tell Mindy.

Mindy's eyes widen. "Are you kidding?! No way! It's your idea to go to the game."

I groan. "Fine, I'll do it."

I notice my boss in the back who was washing plates. Yesterday, Sally got mad at me for dropping a glass tier for our cakes.

So I slowly went inside and hoped that Sally wouldn't rage at me.

"S-Sally", I start, immediately wincing.

She looks over at me. Her auburn bangs stick on her face, covering her tired, gray eyes. She looked so exhausted and I started to feel bad for asking for the day off.

"Um.. today is um, Mindy's first game and we were um wondering if we can take the rest of the shift off...?"

I cringe at my awkwardness, god, Sally's going to say scold me and refuse to let me skip.

Sally turns the running sink off and places her soapy hand on her hip. She looks up at me. Her frame was quite small, about a 5"4 lady, so she was standing two inches shorter than me.

"I don't know, Lara. I understand that this is the first football game and I want you have fun as 17 year olds but... you kind of owe me Lara. You broke that glass tier, which was my mother's, and you've skipped at least six of your shifts without any warning."

I frown at the fact that she was 100% correct. But she doesn't know why I skipped. I didn't skip because I was lazy and didn't feel like going to work, it was because I had to. During those six shifts that I'd skipped, my mother depended on me. But I couldn't tell her that.

"I'm sorry, Sally", I say, gulping.

She closes her eyes, hiding the purple semi-circles under her eyes. "Listen, I'm getting older and weaker but... I'm going to put that aside and let you go. I can't be selfish for my own benefits."

I jump. "Really, Sally?!"

"Yes, yes. Go, dear, go have fun."

I run out of the back and grab Mindy's arm. "C'mon lets go!"

—————————————

First chapter is completed! Wow, sorry for the wait. A lot has been going on but I finally finished my first chapter!

These chapters are going to be in mixed lengths, some longer and some shorter. I've decided to keep the first chapter a bit shorter than usual ❤️

- Aria