WHY EVERYBODY needs to LEAVE

(JOHNREY R. VICENTE)

Once, there’s a tall, white complexioned, long haired 16 year old girl with rosy lips and pleasing eyes, beautiful, in short, namely Juliana who lives in Tondo, Manila, the capital of crime and greediness, where gamblers and killers hide. What a very noisy and yet a very scary place to stay on, she’s been there since the day she saw light of life, together with her mother in an almost ruined nipa hut. Juliana is just a fourth year high school student, not performing good in school, timid, lazy, have vices, definitely and a rebel daughter to her mother because since his father died due to a car accident because she felt empty and alone. Her life is full of misery and gets even worst. From then on, her mothers act as the bread winner of their family for them to have something to eat and for her to study.

One rainy night, her mother went home from the factory she is working, wet and her body is shaking, her lips were pale and her eyes are about to close and collapse.

“Mother! Mother! What’s happening to you?” Juliana asked her mother.

“I’m good, don’t mind me Juliana all I need is a rest and have a nap….” Her mother says to her with a cold tone of voice form the throat.

“But…..mother, you are cold and your body is shaking….” Juliana says with worries in her face.

Suddenly, a strong blow on the floor accompanies the noise of the rain. She saw her mother lying on the floor without consciousness, Juliana don’t know what to do, so she just sit beside her mother, “Mother! Oh! Mother wake up! Wake up...! Help! Help my mother!!! Neighbors please help my mother….!” Juliana shouts, with shredding tears on her face.

Juliana finally brings her mother to the nearest hospital with the help of their neighbors. After waiting for about one hour, the Doctor finally come out from the emergency room.

“Doctor..! How’s my mother? Is she okay? Tell me please……” Juliana asked the Doctor with cross hands and fear in her eyes.

“Hhmmmm…please prepare yourself, your mother has no fever, cold or even cough…” The doctor replied.

“It means my mother is fine, right? She can go home now? Tell me Doc!” Juliana asked with glittering eyes.

The Doctor was confuse whether he will tell the truth or not, but, because Juliana is the only relative of her mother, the Doctor decided to tell her the real situation of her mother.

“Your mother……”

“What Doc? Please tell me…….”

“Okay! Okay…I will tell you but, first be seated and stay calm…..”

Juliana seat on the bench and listen to the Doctor.

“Your mother…..is…very sick, she has cancer and she’s in the third stage now, maybe it’s too late for medication and chemo-therapy.” The Doctor said with a very cold tone of voice.

“HUH!!!!! Doc… What did u say? My…..my mother has a cancer? Hah? Tell me that it’s not true!!!!!! Tell me Doc! Tell me!!” Juliana shouted and grasped the coat of the Doctor.

“Doc!! Please help my mother!! Please!!!!....I need her…..” she pleased the Doctor while she’s bending her knees.

“I, we have nothing to do now, even the richest man is impossible to survive in a situation like this…let’s just give the decision to our Lord, and if I were you….go home now, for you to have a rest, then go back here tomorrow.” The Doctor told her in a very sad tone.

The Doctor then now leaves Juliana weeping while covering her whole face. Juliana goes to her mother’s room, she looks blank and her eyes were swelling. Unexpectedly, not more than a minute, she runs away from the room, and run outside the hospital even the rain is continue falling from the sky.

“Oh! Why my mother? Why she? Oh God!! Help me!! I’m begging you…why don’t you get my life rather than my mother…she’s good and great to me, the greatest woman I’ve ever met, she’s my life and my strength….so please God help me…..I don’t know what to do when she die, I’m not ready for that…. PROMISE!! I’ll be kind and good, ill study hard, please God, listen to me and grant my wish.”

Just a blink of an eye, the rain stops and a ray of light appear from the sky then a silver coin flies in front of her from the light and speak “keep me in your heart and everything will be fine.”

Juliana holds the silver coin, and suddenly the ray of light starts to get bigger and bigger until her vision turns to white.

KRINGGGGGG!! KRINGGGGGG!!

“Ooooh!” Juliana shouted, because the alarm clock rings at exactly 5 o’clock in the morning. She’s still crying and rises from bed as fast as she can, she run to the door of the house in order for her to visit her mother in the hospital. Until she hear a familiar voice from her back.

“Juliana! Where are you going at this early moment of time?”

She turn around and she saw her mother, wearing a duster, with a smile in her lips and alive.

Juliana starts to cry out loud and run to her mother, embraced her and kissed her while saying, “Oh thank God! that what happen last night is just a dream….I love you so much Ma!”

“Oh dear! What happen? You act so weird ah” her mother asked Juliana with a smile in her face.

“Nothing Mom... I’m just missing you so much; promise me that you’re not going to leave me hah? PROMISE I’ll study hard and be a good girl” she replied to her mother while snipping.

“Of course, I will not leave you; you’re my only treasure and my joy in this world.” Her mother replied and kissed her forehead.

While embracing her mother, he feels that there’s something in her pocket so, she open it and saw the silver coin. What’s in her mind is “Is it really just a dream or a reality that God fixed for me?” she replied to herself, “whatever it is! Even though were poor and were only two in this ruined place which we call our home, I’m still, very thankful that my mother is here, breathing, hugging and cooking breakfast for me.”

AFTER ALL, she study hard, stopped having vices and graduated with flying colors in High School, since then, she always keeps the silver coin in her wallet and somehow serves as her lucky charm.