Seven challenges, one smile

The news of Lin Ben's challenge swept through soldiery and scullery alike—though all were careful to keep it from the Marshal of the Summer Guard and the Mistress of House. Similar circumspection was accorded the other challenges laid down that night, including one by Lin Aden, tin testament to the the maid Shakti's virtue. Aditi shared the intelligence with Chesa while the latter cut up apricot pickles for a soup.

"The Cat Who Swats at Thunderheads, you say?" said Chesa.

"That is the style that is being talked about," said Aditi. "But I have not washed his sheets, so I cannot say for certain. What in the Rafters of the World is that soup?”

“Relief for Queen Mani’s stomach. Mme Jampa swears by Archipelago remedies for such complaints. Has he attracted more than one challenge?" said Chesa.

“Who?”

“This cloud-batting feline of whom you speak,” said Chesa. After she said it, she looked into the air in front of her and blinked twice.

"A few, it would seem," said Aditi. "Perhaps all the challenges being talked about now are against him, I do not know. I have new sheets to run up to the royal suite; I would be glad to take the soup as well.”

“You are a treasure,” said Chesa. “Aditi, what will they fight with?"

Aditi frowned at Chesa in confusion. "Sticks, as some tell it; swords, as others do. What does it matter?”

“It does not,” said Chesa. "How many challenges altogether, then?"

"Lin Ben, Lin Tsawa, the Bear in Winter, the Azure Wind; Jamyang and Lumdup, two men of the Demon Guard; and Brugmey, in the stables."

"Only seven, then," said Chesa. "That is well."

"Well and better," said Aditi, "if only we can hie ourselves to the succulent garden instead of slaving under the yoke of laundry-bale and soup-pot!”

"Indeed," said Chesa, abstracted. She was still lost in thought when Aditi left, her good-bye unanswered, with the soup; and, of course, after Aditi had turned the corner, there was no way Chesa could have detected the laundress's small, smug smile.