Once again

Author's Note: hey guys! Thanks for voting. I wanted to post two chapters but it turns out that I have been so distracted lately that I haven't written it and forgot completely, but since it has been quite a while since I have decided to give it to you this way and hope you will be patient for the next chapter. Thanks for reading. We now have only two chapters left.

Chapter 13

It wasn't that I was delaying on purpose to speak to Ariel. At least that's what I was telling myself as I accompanied Ariel and my mother to do some shopping. Although they've already done this souvenir sort of shopping twice already, my mother and Ariel still thought there was more to buy.

When we were at home and I was waiting for the right time to draw Ariel's attention and speak to her. My mother showed up and with many slow words and hand gestures, got Ariel excited to go shopping yet again.

I tagged along just to give myself more time to summon the courage I needed to tell her. This wasn't easy. Every time I saw her smiling and laughing with my mother I would cringe and walk further away from them. I didn't want to do anything to take that smile away.

"Kongpob, what are you doing all the way over there?" My mother sounded surprised. "First you said you want to go with us and now you are not even willing to walk with us?"

I was pretending to browse through the shelves but my mother already caught on. "That's..." I trailed off with nothing to say and walked back to her.

"What is it? Did you do something bad?"

I startled. Was this a mother's instinct? In any case, it was right on the mark. I shouldn't have let P'Arthit kiss me yesterday. I shouldn't have kissed him back like my world would fall apart if I didn't and I shouldn't be thinking about going to him when I am about to break someone's heart. I am a really bad person, mother.

She read my face and sighed. "What did you do? My son, you can tell me anything."

Ariel jumped over and said with excitement, "Mae, Look what I found!" she was holding a collection of tiny bracelets. My mother shook her head and began to berate her choice. Since I was spared again, I quickly slithered away and went to a corner to continue building my courage.

Not long after, Ariel and My mother were done. They came to find me and together we started to leave, but who knew my mother would suddenly remember that she needed some groceries.

"When Arthit comes today, I want to have food to feed him," she was saying.

"P'Arthit said he was coming today?" I asked, amazed.

"Yes, I want to prepare his favorite."

Ariel tugged my hand. "Arthit is coming again?" she asked quietly.

For some reason, I started to flush badly. "Yes, mom invited him... I think."

"Your mom really likes him, doesn't she? Exactly how close was your relationship?" she sounded interested but to me that sounded like the cue I needed to begin speaking. Naturally, I wouldn't do it here.

"Actually, Ariel, I have something to tell you. I sort of lied to you," I was still walking but Ariel fell behind. I turned to see her standing looking at me with a hesitantly surprised face.

"What did you lie about? Arthit?" she didn't have to say anymore and I knew it was time. Like it or not, this was where I would have to say it.

"P'Arthit isn't my friend like I told you. He is—"

"Arthit son," my mother's voice was rather loud. I turned and saw that she was calling for someone. Calling for Arthit? My breath caught in my throat. Slowly, Arthit walked out from behind a shelf looking very casual in jeans and polo. He was looking normally at my mother, but then he turned his head and saw Ariel and me. His expression hardened at once and he looked away without even a word.