Chapter Five

Danielle and Faye made their way steadily through the mountain pass. They started out early in the morning as frost still clung to the grass and they reached the end of it by the time the sun was at it's highest. 

As they walked out of the cover of the trees, Danielle looked back for a moment, hesitant. Faye leaned on his staff he had scavenged and waited. Those mountains had been her home for almost her whole life. Faye walked over to Danielle and put a hand on her shoulder. "Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked, softly. Danielle gripped her hands into fists and turned away from the mountains. "I'm sure." she said, firmly.

They walked for the rest of the day, and by the time it was dark they came upon a small town. A faded carved sign told them it's name; Brenn. At the worn, old inn they were greeted warmly by the landlady. When Faye pulled a small pouch of gold pieces out of his bag and set it onto the counter to pay for their stay, Danielle gasped in awe. Faye was confused momentarily before remembering that Danielle's parents had been farmers, an that they probably didn't have much money at all, let alone pouches of gold pieces. Faye paid for a room with two beds and they retired for the night.

The room was dark, with a small chandelier in the centre of the ceiling. The floor was covered in moth eaten carpets that would have once been grand and colourful, and the walls and ceiling were of a beautiful dark wood, that from years of wear and tear had a layer of scratches and scuff marks over it. As Faye and Danielle settled down, Faye removed his boot and repeated his daily ritual of changing his bandages on his ankle. The swelling had gone down quite a bit and so Faye wouldn't need to put as many bandages on to hold it in place. He let it relax without it's restraints while they rested.

Danielle sorted out her belongings and, after giving Faye a quiet smile, wrapped herself in a cocoon of blankets and drifted off to sleep. Faye returned the smile reluctantly, finding the expression strange on his face. and stared out the slightly foggy window, past the tree line of the forest behind and up at the silently rising moon.