Chapter 6

Eight months later

Gabriella

It's been eight months since Andrew and I have been married and everything has not been fine and dandy in La La land. For starters, we avoided each other like The Plague, even on our honeymoon... well, that was until we called it quits and had hot, passionate sex until for months. But after that, we started to act like strangers again... Somehow.

Weeks passed, and the routine was the same; leave early, come home late, have dinner separately, sleep separately, repeat. We lived in the same house but we weren't apart of each other's lives unfortunately.

He gave me the space I desired so much and even though I cherished it in the beginning, it turns out that you don't need all the time in the world to think about your life. I felt lonely. About two months into the marriage I got the biggest shock of my life. I found out that I was pregnant, with twins.

I mean, it shouldn't have been such a shock considering that we had unprotected sex on our honeymoon. I thought I would have been fine because I was on birth control pills but... I guess my constant slip ups and forgetfulness resulted in this.

I didn't tell Andrew, it was too early in our marriage to be talking about kids so far less to hear that you have not one but two kids on the way was just asking for trouble. I did not know how he would react. We didn't really talk to each other that much apart from greetings. Terror gripped me so I kept the news to myself, the other person who knew was my doctor.

After a few weeks of denial I accepted it; I was pregnant. I bought tonnes of baby clothes despite not knowing their genders. Hearing my babies' heartbeat for the first time was the most beautiful sound I could have ever heard. I was actually pregnant! I was not totally alone!

Even when I was two months along I refused to tell anyone. Andrew was non the wiser. He was so busy with business trips and working all the time that he didn't notice a thing, my family did not notice either but then again, I didn't have the common pregnancy symptoms.

With each day that passed I became more and more in love with my unborn babies. There was this feeling of overwhelming joy that surrounded me every time I thought about my two bundles of joy. Even to the point where I would randomly tackle Andrew with hugs. He looked at me like I was a weirdo but... who cares? I sure didn't.

I was thirteen weeks when things started to go wrong. I went for my monthly check up with my doctor, she noticed that one of the babies was smaller than the other. She said it could be either of the two scenarios: The smaller baby would catch up and I would have twins or the smaller baby would drain the bigger baby's resources and both would die. I was devastated to hear such news, she told me to return in the two weeks for an ultrasound to see if anything progressed.

Those two weeks seemingly took the longest to drag by. I tried my best to be optimistic about the situation, I ate extra meals, I was extra careful I tried anything possible that would make the outcome positive.

Two weeks finally came by and... the minute I laid my eyes on the ultrasound, I knew my babies were dead. There was no heartbeat and they looked exactly the same from two weeks ago. Just like that, they were gone...

I walked out of that hospital in tears. I felt like a failure, I failed them. I felt like my own body was my enemy, I felt like I was finally paying for my sins and terrible mistakes. I told my doctor that I'd rather let nature take its course rather than have a D&C.

It didn't happen right though. It was on my birthday that the flood gates decided to open and the blood spewed out of me. I was mess. I had never seen that amount of blood and tissue in my entire life. I was glued to the damn toilet asking myself if everything was normal. That was the worst birthday ever.