Something about Quick

I sat on the soft sofa staring into the dark, I was waiting but no one came. My thoughts drifted away; I once again examined my possibilities. I couldn't believe I still thought it might not be too late to run away. Maybe now is my last chance to leave everything and get on the Sea Train to GreenWall. 

But I know that if I would run away, it will increase the chance that The Boo Brothers will kill Josephine. But Troy didn't introduce me to his daughter. So hearing about her death would be like hearing about another disaster on the N&E News. So why the hell am I staying? I can be so far out of my brother's troubles and without having to face this attempt to reassemble my team that by the way I don't trust any of them, let alone fight a bunch of bloodthirsty drug dealers. 

But on second thought it might be too late to escape. Because I imagine she will be here soon and I'm here now and it wasn't easy to get here.  It took me an hour to walk through the busy streets of Old York until I found a deserted car that I could take for a short trip. In the car I found a new alarm system I had to disable, sometimes it annoys me that everything is so computerized today. Because all this digital cyberspace era does not make life easy for burglars, like me. 

Fortunately for me, the guard in the lobby was not a problem, after a short flirt, the fat man allowed me to go up to the thirteenth floor. I could wait outside her apartment, but it's not for me to wait in the hallway, so I walked in. 

The darkness inside didn't stop me, my natural night vision kicked in wean I entered.  I was able to settle down and I found something to drink in the kitchen closet. In the fridge, to my delight, I found a cake someone wrote on the Cake topping, "Congratulations from the A Inc". (If I'm not mistaken, this is the company that reopened the Cyber Network). 

I heard a noise. My sequence of thoughts was interrupted. 

The front door opened. at first, light lit in the hallway, and then more lights came on. A man voice told me that she wasn't alone. They laughed from a private joke. The owner of the apartment closed the front door silently. A silhouette of a man appeared on the wall in front of me. Two people walked into the living room. 

The couple froze when they spotted me sitting in the sofa sipping from their champagne bottle.  (By looking on her sweaty purple hair, I think maybe they came back from jogging in Main Park). "Hey" I tried to be nice.

I know her but the bald one beside her I don't. He rudely shook her off and was about to assault me, but she put her small palm on his shoulder and stopped him. I thought I saw a red glow in his eyes, but I might be wrong. 

"Hey, Quick, we need to talk," I said again as I tried to ignore her mad looking boyfriend. I wonder where she found this male model... This is the first time I've looked at Quick and seen a woman and not some cute girl with telepathic cyber abilities. 

"you know her?" According to the suspicious look in his eyes, he seemed to still be upset. Unlike him, Quick was unmoved by me. well, she knows me since high school. Without me, she would have lived a very boring life like allot of computer geeks. But I saved her from that and made her my sidekick. 

"I really like your place, it's a serious upgrade from living in a Legan Van". I sipped from the wine. My eyes hunted down the property that surrounded us as I hurried to wonder what could be taken and what might be useful to me. 

"Sawyer this is Jaz, she is a childhood friend".  Quick sat down in the armchair in front of me. "What do you want Jaz?" In her firm voice, she made me feel unwanted. "what the fork happened to her?" the thought crossed my mind. 

"Josephine. The Boo Brothers kidnapped Troy's daughter." 

Sawyer sat down next to Quick. He seemed more attentive to what I said. Quick give me the look of what you want from me. 

"We have to help Troy rescue his daughter". She had never been so indifferent. 

Quick didn't answer, but she thought about it. While Sawyer answered for them "Who can we help?" 

"First of all, I need to know where my gear is" Quick's slanted eyes glared with astonishment. After that, she looked at him with the look of how dare you.

"First of all, I need to know where my gear is" I interrupted the exchange of looks. 

"Mint took it all after your arrest, even my stuff" 

"Ok" Mint will be my next stop "Will you help?" 

"Yes" Sawyer answered again "Both of us" 

So, for the first time in history, a man is going to be joining my team.