Chapter One - The Summoning

Geez, over 4,500 words? No wonder this took so long to write.

Also, Other Worlds Than These (the video above) is not mine.

Anyway, author's note at the end.

The library was still, the quiet rain outside falling against the windows and walls outside. I crouched in between two shelves, scrolling to myself. Standing up, I rubbed my eyes behind my glasses, before dropping my hands back to my sides.

I looked over, seeing lightning flash from one cloud to another, illuminating the night sky. Thunder followed a few seconds after, a low rumble that almost shook the building.

Returning my gaze to the shelf, a more worn-looking book caught my eye. I pulled it out and looked at the cover.

"The Record of the Four Holy Weapons," I muttered, my tongue poking into my cheek shortly afterwards. "Huh. Looks pretty old."

Carefully, I opened the brown-red cover to the first page, greeted with dark ink near the top of the page, though it wasn't the title, like I thought it would be.

This book is a source of powerful information. It read.

Only those who have signed the contract can continue.

Do you accept?

I frowned, contemplating the book. On one hand, it sounded like the author had written this to add to the feel of the book, but on the other hand...

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a pen, writing 'yes' in dark blue ink under the last line. The ink flowed down the page, as if propelled by gravity to do so, forming new words that quickly darkened to the same black ink at the top.

The contract has been sealed.

This world is not as it should be, and things are falling apart.

We look forward to working with you, Trickster.

My frown deepened. Trickster? I thought. What does that mean?

I put that thought out of my mind for later, turning the page to read the prologue.

"Waves of calamity? Some kind of prophecy? Heroes from another world?" I pushed my glasses up. "Interesting." I turned the page, and my eyes widened. I turned the next few pages, before I growled, frantically turning page after page.

I slammed the book shut. "Damn it, all the last page says is 'Shield Hero,' then the rest of it is f-ing blank!"

I eyed the book in my hand, before I sighed. "Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to regret this?"

I took my bag off my shoulder, opened it, and stuffed the book in, before replacing the bag on my shoulder and looking around to see if anyone had noticed me stealing.

Satisfied that no one had, I walked out from between the bookshelves towards the main entrance. I opened my umbrella, stepping out under the overhang above the doors, before staring back at the illuminated interior of the library.

I sighed, my breath manifesting as mist in the wet, near-winter air, before crossing the dark, puddled sidewalk to my car. Opening the door, I set my bag in the passenger seat and closing my umbrella, putting it in the back before I got into the driver's seat.

I sat in the car in silence, contemplating as I wiped the water off my glasses. As if against my will, my eyes drifted over to the bag. I forcibly tore my eyes away, then glanced back at the bag, replacing my glasses as I did so.