Chapter 98

As it turned out, Sheng Hong was the biggest winner after all of this.

The ancient scholars thought highly of integrity. As an official who had passed all the Imperial Exams by himself, he had three daughters who married into the families with titles of nobility. Though Marquis Zhongqin hadn't been in an important position for a long time and Liang Han was the youngest son in his family, Gu Tingye was still a genuine powerful nobility. So in the sight of all the scholars who valued the strength of character a lot, Sheng Hong would seem like a person who was eager to fawn upon the people of power and influence.

However, Sheng Hong was a very lucky man that he didn't need to worry about any of that.

"You are going to marry your third daughter to Scholar Wen?" Official Lu, Sheng Hong's former superior who was the vice prime minister of Cabinet now said that in surprise. He had had a close relationship with Sheng Hong when they had worked together in the Ministry of Works. So he knew that Sheng Hong's third daughter was the legal one.

Sheng Hong nodded heavily and made an obeisance to Vice Prime Minister Lu, saying "My father died when I was at a young age. All my elders in my family don't live in the capital city. May I ask you to be the matchmaker for my two daughters?"

Vice Prime Minister was more than willing to do that. However, he still had some doubts, "I really thought that..." That was the habit of all the scholars of saving half of the sensitive words in their minds.

Sheng Hong then said with a bitter and guilty look, "I am so ashamed of myself by going back on my words at first. I owed Wen family so much. So I have always wanted to betroth another daughter to their family. Well, I just want to live up to the principles we have learned."

Hearing Sheng Hong's confession, Vice Prime Minister Lu was deeply touched and agreed to be the matchmaker for Sheng family at once. After their conversation came out, all the people in the capital were stunned. And after a short period, they all began to speak highly of Sheng Hong's fine quality.

Before Molan and Scholar Wen got engaged, Wang shi had expected that nothing would change. So she had dropped a word to others about the engagement. Hence a lot of people had known that the elders in Sheng family had the intention to betroth Molan to Scholar Wen. It had never occurred to anyone that after an incident, Molan had married in Liang family. As the people had sighed secretly that Molan had been so lucky, they had also felt pity for hapless Scholar Wen who had lost his fiancée. However, much to the people's surprise, Sheng Hong decided to betroth his legal daughter to Scholar Wen. Wasn't he afraid of irritating General Gu?

However, not only didn't the people from Gu family lose their temper, they even prepared for the wedding in a haste, which made all the people who had waited to watch the fun feel quite disappointed. The most disappointed ones were the people from Peng family—— Since they had also wanted to betroth an illegal daughter to Gu Tingye, why had they been rejected without mercy while the illegal daughter from Sheng family could be accepted?! That was just so unfair!

In the meantime, all the celebrities and the officials in the six ministries were happy about the engagement. They made lots of compliments about Sheng Hong's 'integrity'. As a result, Sheng Hong gained both fame and fortune and became the biggest winner.

In a general way, couples always met opposite situations. As Sheng Hong was praised by his superiors and respected by his subordinates, Wang shi was having a bad time. At the beginning of December, Old Madam Wen finally presented all the betrothal gifts to the Sheng family. At that time, when those presents had been supposed to give Molan, Wang shi had still been quite satisfied. However, when it was Rulan's turn to accept those presents, Wang shi just discontented with everything.