Chapter 2

By the end of the day, I know everything about Mr Cutty. Not only is he handsome, charming, intelligent but he is the new owner of our advertising company. I'm saying my good byes to Nika and all our other colleagues to catch a taxi back to where I stay. I have to walk around because they have closed the short cut route I used to use. This is because of the xenophobic attacks that are currently taking place.

When I get to the taxi rank, it is late and I'm in luck to catch the last taxi. With all the protest and loitering happen, the taxis finish quite early at 18:30. I still don't understand why everyone suddenly wants these Nigerians out of our country. Yes I know they have wronged us by selling drugs and kidnapping our sisters. But every country has to have legal foreigners.

"Sisters are you getting in or are you gonna just wait there?" he says. That must be the queue marshal, a guy that usually controls the leaving and coming in of taxis. "I'm getting in sir, is this going to Brixton?" I ask. "Yes it is. You asked this when you got here". He sounds irritated. I am about to get into the taxi when I realize that there is only one seat left, FRONT SEAT!!! and that's everyone's nightmare.  I hate sitting in front because mathematics is not my thing. I know my multiplication table but gosh having to count change is not for me.

I have no choice but to seat there. "Hey beautiful. You seem so scared to sit here. Relax I got you" the taxi driver says and shuts his front door. I get in and settle on the front seat doing my multiplication table in my head before the taxi takes off. The taxi leaves that taxi rank and that's when my heart starts beating fast. Money is coming in, "4", "3" okay okay breath you can do this. I give out change and ask the driver how much he needs to get. I give him the exact amount. He is impressed by my mathematics ability. He smiles and continues with his driving. He is impressed I see. It took about 20 minutes to reach my bus stop and i got off saif my goodbye to the kind cute driver. I crossed the street and headed to my apartment. I went up the stairs and got to my door. Dammit I always have to search my keys inside my handbag cause it is full of nothings. Yhuu finally I grab then and open up.

I take off my shoes, jacket and untie my bun to loosen my hair. After such a long day I needed something to eat and drink. Something good. I open my fridge only to be met by an apple and water bottle. Eish it is close to month end, grocery is finished and I am living up pn my savings. Gosh!! What am I going to eat? Maybe I could order some food but with what money. The money I have left is for transport for the rest of the days before month end. I look at the calendar and I see we have about 6 days to go. That's not bad at all. From the money I saved I calculated the amount of money I needed for those days and I'm left with some spare change. Great let me head down to the cafeteria and get some food. Something like quarter chicken and chicken cause that's gonna last me for about 2 days. Yeah I'm not a big eater and that's why I'm only just size 32. I put on my slipper and prepare to hear out.

My phone rings just as I was about to take my keys on the table. Bad timing person!! I wonder whose that. I reach for my phone and guess who is calling. Anika. I'm definitely sure she wants to gossip some more about Mr Cutty. "Hey Nika. How I can help you at this time of the night?" I say and she chuckles on the other side of the line. "It's not even 20:00 Lee. Can you explain something to me? " she says and I think uh-huh here comes trouble. "Something?" I ask. "Yes. Why is Mr Cutty asking questions about you?" What? He is doing what? I'm confused. I wonder why. "I don't know Nika you should be telling me. I thought you knew everything" I say with scared laugh. "Hmm. This is different Lee. Mr Cutty just arrived today and already nje he is asking about you. I don't know what to even think yazi. But I will figure it out. Bye Lee sleep tight and don't think about him" Just like that she ends the line. I laugh at how she is so keen on this issue. Nika is something else sham. But this leaves me in deep thoughts.  Why is he asking about me? How does he know about me?

My stomach growls reminding me of my hunger. I grab my keys and head for the door.

Authors note
This is what I came up with. Let me know if you like or not.

Cheers 🌻