1 • graduation gifts

"Aaliyah Logan."

With a deep breath, I take a cautious first step toward Chancellor Bowen. Once my five inch heel clicks on the platform safely, I grin from ear to ear and continue across the stage with confidence. Now that the scariest part is out of the way, nothing stands in between me and my diploma.

Dramatic cheers and screams come from a certain area of the crowd. My heart skips in excitement.

Suddenly an air horn blows- loudly. My eyes widen, and Chancellor Bowen shakes her head in disappointment.

Dad.

I swear to—

"Congratulations," says Chancellor Bowen, snapping me out of my brief moment of spiritually strangling my father. She hands me my diploma.

"Thank you!" I reply happily while shaking her hand. "Truly, thank you for everything."

The overpowering flash of a camera goes off.

"Your future is bright, Miss Logan," she nods. "Good luck."

I respond with another excited smile and almost skip off stage.

God, this is so much better than my high school graduation. I feel  free, I feel accomplished...

I feel so damn proud of myself.

You just graduated college, I think to myself as I sit down in my assigned chair. I don't hesitate to move the tassel to the other side of my cap. I've never felt more like an adult than I do now. I officially have my bachelor's degree in cosmetology!

My grin doesn't falter as I listen to the rest of the names being called off. I give everyone a small clap and I scream with pride when it's a friend.

Next the keynote speaker takes the podium, followed by our class valedictorian, Quinn Doofert. Quinn gives a thoughtful reflection about the past few years as a student. I've never personally met Quinn before, but for some reason I tear up just thinking about how it's unlikely that I'll see her kind face again.

About thirty minutes later, the cheers intensify as we're instructed to stand and exit the ceremony. Once it's okay to do so, I shoot out of the building as fast as my heels will allow me, and I only trip twice by the time I reach the grassy lawn out front.

Right where they said they'd meet me.

Where he said he'd meet me.

I chew on my bottom lip in anticipation. I haven't seen my family since March. My brothers and I have been busy finishing school and my parents have little Aurora to keep them occupied. Living so far away from each other makes everything hard.

But that ends today. Playing with the strands of my long hair, I search my busy surroundings for—

"Lia!"

I whip my head around to spot my parents waving just yards away. Squealing, I start sprinting again.

"Mom!" I crash into the petite woman and hold her tightly. She returns my aggressive embrace.

"I'm so proud of you, sweetheart," she sniffs with teary eyes. I notice her under eyelids are slightly smeared with mascara. "You did it!"