Hang On Little Tomato

Narrator's POV

I'm going to miss you so much. Thank you for bringing me the best memories of my life.

You made my life a happy one...

...and there's no tragedy in that.

Stephen stared at his reflection in the mirror as he leaned over the bathroom sink.

Tears pooling in his eyes.

These memories would not leave him alone. They haunted his mind and tore his heart apart.

He'd resurface only to have the dark within him pull him back into the shadows, destroying all memory of who he once was. He wasn't strong enough to push pass. Even if he wanted to, he couldn't. He had submitted himself to the darkness, and there was no coming back.

His trembling hands opened an orange pill bottle he had gotten from behind the medicine cabinet. He took two of the tablets and looked back at the mirror. He pointed each corner of his mouth up, forming a smile as a tear escaped his left eye. "And a smile to hide behind." He said.

///0///0

"Glad to see you'll be joining us for breakfast today." Bruce said, watching Stephen walk down the staircase with his hands in his pockets.

"Yes." Stephen said.

He was wearing his usual, sweater, jeans, sneakers, messy bed hair.

"Mornin'." Thor greeted him.

Stephen gave him a small nod.

"Alright guys." Tony said, coming into the dining room with a coffee mug. "I've-Stephen." He said, noticing the third body. "Good morning." He smiled.

Stephen smiled at him. "Hey." He gave him a small wave.

"How're you feeling this morning?" Tony asked.

"Just wonderful." Stephen answered.

"I'm glad." Tony nodded. "I'm glad."

"Yeah." Stephen sighed, looking down at his sneakers. He looked up to say something but stopped himself.

Tony looked at him.

"What's for breakfast?" Thor asked.

"Oh, you'll love it." Bruce said.

///0///0

Stephen sat outside on the steps of the patio.

Knees up to his chest, and his arms wrapped around his legs. He had his chin resting on his knees.

He watched as nothing happened in the backyard, but he listened to the birds sing and the wind blow by in the tall pines that separated the forest from the manor's large backyard.

The door behind him opened, but he didn't move.

He remained still like a statue.

Footsteps got closer to him.

Then a body sat next to him.