5

The next day at work I was greeted by folders and envelopes on my desk, which were initially edited articles done by the assignment editors—and I was more than excited to dig in the pile and start my "grammar Nazi" adventure.

Liam and Dina worked fast; they skimmed and scanned here, crossed out errors there, checked AP styles, wrote editorials; they were phenomenal. Fry, on the other hand, preferred to take things slow. He would sit back in his chair and babble on about the weirdest things and that sort of annoyed the people around him. I've probably never seen him do any actual work, but thanks to his smooth-talking ways, he's somehow moving up the corporate ladder faster than anyone else in the company.  

Harry, had been bent over sheets of paper for hours. He was intent in his work, only taking really short in between breaks to spritz some disinfectant on his hands. 

I planned to talk to him about yesterday; to tell him that I didn't mean to provoke a negative reaction in his part. I waited patiently for an opportunity. And at three o'clock, my opportunity had arrived. He got up from his desk and headed for the lunchroom. Finishing the tenth article in a hurry, I slipped my heels on and stood up.  

"Where are you going?" Fry said, looking at me over his glasses.

"To the snack bar." I replied, hoping it sounded casual. "You want something?"

"Ooh, oooh, me!" Liam said. "Can you bring me a bagel please? And if you're nice enough you can add some croutons too."

"Sure. You, Dina?"

"I'm good, Alice honey."

"Okay, I'll be right back." I headed to the third floor and found Harry sitting alone at a table, munching his way through a packet of peanuts.

He seemed lost in thought, so I took my time and grabbed the bagels and croutons for Liam, an apple for Fry, and a Caramello for me, just in case.

"Alice?" someone said.

I turned around and saw Zayn the comic artist, holding a Milky Way. His shirt sleeves were rolled up, and I caught sight of a very interesting half sleeve tattoo.  

"Hey Zayn." I say, greeting him with a smile.

"Whoa, somebody's hungry." He gestured to the the snacks cradled in my arms.

"Oh, the bagels—"

"Ah," he raised his hand. "No need to explain. Don't worry, I don't judge."

"O-kay."

"So, have any ideas of who's—" he checked the area and lowered his voice into a whisper. "ratting us out?"

I gave him a confused look. "Ratting us out? What do you mean?"

"You're telling me, that you have absolutely no idea about the snitch? Figured Kinney would've told you by now."

"The snitch?"

He shook his head and chuckled. "Nevermind that, Alice. Just watch out. We've got a lot of squealers out there." He said, giving me a smile before leaving the room.

"Squealers?" I said under my breath. 

Right on cue, Harry stood up from his seat, and I gave myself a mental slap on the face. I'd almost forgotten about the main reason why I went here; my mind was preoccupied about the things that Zayn said.

I walked towards Harry, who was throwing a paper towel in the bin. 

"Harry?"

Startled, he jumped back and clutched his chest. "Alice. You scared me." 

I rubbed my nape. "Sorry." 

"It's fine." 

"Um, so," I buried my hands in my pockets, "can I talk to you for a minute?"

He looked away. "Yeah, sure, I guess. Just make it quick. I've got a lot of things to do."

I bit my inner cheek and inhaled. "About yesterday, I apologize if I ever made you feel uncomfortable. I only wanted to comfort you and it was my fault for not acknowledging your need of space—"

"Wait." He interrupted. "Comfort me?"

"Yes. You looked really on edge."

He shook his head. "I don't need your comfort, Alice."

"Oh," I sank. "I only wanted to help you."

I must've hit a nerve, because he suddenly looked cross. "Help me? Listen, I don't need your help or your pity or your comfort. I can manage myself. For the keys, thank you so much for finding them. Your keen eyesight has taken my life's burden off me. You are truly a blessing in disguise." 

"Harry, I didn't...I'm sorry—"

"God, you're so...just..." he took a sharp intake of breath and sighed heavily. "Just mind your own business next time." And with that, he left.