Them - 13

-THIRD PERSON POV-

"So... I could go for a smoothie right about now." Tom noticed a smoothie place by the name 'Smoothie-palasset'.  Tord nodded, "Sounds good." They approached the counter and looked at the screens for the menus. "I'll have a strawberry banana smoothie!" Tom smiled happily; he was feeling quite hungry after all.

"Hah, beklager." Tord snickered as the woman at the front counter just giggled kindly. "Jordbær an... banan?" She said in an inquisitive tone. "Ja. Takk." Tord smiled back and ordered for himself, "Jeg skal bare ha en mango, takk." He turned to face Tom and pointed to a table. "Go find us somewhere to sit, okay?" Tom nodded and saluted jokingly, "Yes, Sir!" He skipped on over to a booth near the wall.

The leader paid and picked up both of the smoothies. "Jeg håper du nyter!" The worker girl smiled and waved. They sat down at their table and the Leader handed the little lieutenant his smoothie. "So, is this a second date?~" Tom grinned with excitement. "I'm not sure, I'm more of a guardian than a boyfriend." He thought a bit. "Well a boyfriend takes care of you, and you're taking care of me. So you're my boyfriend!" Tom hummed. 

"I'm not, Thomas. I'm simply making sure you're safe, so I don't go to jail." Tord took the lid off of his smoothie to get it down faster while Tom willingly took the time to drink it through his straw. "This is not how I expected being sent off to the army would go." The dark eyed boy kicked his legs around happily. Tord smirked a bit and scoffed, "This isn't how it goes for nearly anybody, you're just an exception for some reason."

"Well I'm special." Tom held his stuffed bear and cuddled it with joy. "Don't get too ahead of yourself, I can still do whatever I want with you." Tord finished his smoothie quickly. "You can make me go back into the soldier position?" Tom suddenly stopped smiling and got a bit concerned. Once again the Leader chuckled maliciously. "Oh Thomas, I can make you go into any position."

"Like Leader? I can be Leader!" Tom gasped. "You poor innocent boy." He stood up and threw his cup away and Tom did too even though he wasn't quite finished. "Let's get back to the base, it's getting late." He insisted and walked back out of the building with Tom, making their way to the van. "Fin kveld? (Nice evening out?)" A man said, appearing from behind the vehicle. Maybe this wasn't all as nice as it seemed.

The infamous Leader stood in front of Tom and held out a gun from seemingly nowhere. Several other men and women came out and stood with guns and weapons in hand. "You really think you can get away with this?" A girl hissed and held a large dagger out as they all slowly approached the two. "Don't fucking move Lukas." Tord growled aggressively, probably the most vicious Tom had ever seen him.

"Jeg vil ha min posisjon tilbake, jævla. (I want my position back, fucker.)" The man named Lukas loaded his gun and aimed, moving sideways to point the projectile launcher at the smaller male behind the larger one. "Who this is?" He attempted English while preparing to fire. It seemed like they were about to have a standoff, since this person is clearly of a negative importance and the infamous Leader obviously knows him fairly well. Almost as if they'd been fighting for years.

"GÅ VEKK!" Tord shot him, directly hitting his head and killing him instantly. People around start screaming and finding shelter as the gunshot echoed in the shadowed air surrounding the lot. People came loading their guns and prepping their knives as Tord shot them down. "Get in the car, NOW." Tord yelled at his lieutenant, who felt bad running away, but listened anyway. "I've got to get that boy a weapon." Tord murmured while getting into the van and driving away before anyone else had to get hurt.

Gunshots pelted the van but didn't manage to get inside as they escaped without a physical scar. "W-what the hell?!" Tom looked out the window and tried to stay hidden. "They're scouters from Holland, we've been under some heat lately. That's why we're taking soldiers from America and Britain." Tord explained quickly while making sure they were safe. "Lukas has been leading some groups for years, and neither of us ever kill but... I just got a bit trigger-happy when he aimed at you."

Tom shivered and panted a bit. "B-But what do I do if I don't have a weapon? You won't give me one anyway..." He held Tomee for dear life as they drove home. "You don't have to fight... you just have to defend." Tord thought while pulling into the army garage and locking everything then getting out of the car with his dark eyed 'soldier'. "I can be the person who stays back and looks over security cameras and stuff!"

"We already have plenty of those. I know this is sudden but I need to report this attack, I'll meet you in an hour at bed. You're going to need sleep for tomorrow, just trust me." Tord took a deep breath and wiped his forehead, then knelt down a bit to give Tom a small kiss on the cheek. "I'm so sorry I put you in danger Thomas. This isn't exactly uncommon around here, but I've been trying to protect you from the violence. I'll have this figured out by morning, just get some well deserved rest."

"Yes Sir..." Tom gave him a saddened look before finding his way to the bedroom. He set Tomee down and got undressed, but decided the large shirt would be nice for sleeping in so he left it on then got into bed with his bear. He wanted to sleep, but waited an hour to see if the Leader would really turn up.

But he didn't.

 And so Tom fell asleep by himself, cold and a bit scared.