Newfound abilities

Against all odds and a lot of rain I had made my way home to Scott last night. I had successfully sneaked in through the backdoor and tiptoed up the stairs. Before I went to my room I took a quick detour to Scott's door, and when I opened it I found him in his bed fast asleep. After I had spent some time plucking leaves from my currently flaming red hair I took a quick shower and then went to bed.

As of now, me and Scott had arrived at school and had just been told by Jackson Whittemore to watch the paint job on his Porsche. He wore his irritated expression as always. In my opinion, he could use some anger management. He always looked pissed and even when you're not doing anything, you're doing something wrong.

"Okay, let's see this thing." Stiles said. We had just met up with him and I gave him a confused look.

"See what?" I asked confused, not having any idea what they were talking about. Scott pulled up his shirt, revealing a white gauze at his side with some blood that had seeped through. "Oh my god! What happened? Why didn't you show me this earlier?" I gasped. No wonder Scott had been acting weird this morning. He'd been suspiciously quiet and I swear he had tried to avoid me.

"I didn't tell you because I knew you would freak out." Scott said calmly. "I got it after we were separated. It was too dark to see much but I'm pretty sure it was a wolf." He continued. Wait, a wolf? Well, it does explain the howl I heard, but we haven't-

"-had any wolves in California for like sixty years." Stiles said.

"But I heard a howl." Scott argued.

"No you didn't." Stiles countered.

"I heard it too." I implied, raising my hand a little.

"You - What - Well you must have imagined it or something. There are no wolves in California."

"Then you're not going to believe me when I say I found the rest of the body." Scott said.

"Are you kidding me?" Stiles and I said in chorus, both of us looking at Scott with wide eyes. While I sound a bit frightened, Stiles can't contain his excitement. I'm glad I wasn't the one to find it, I would've freaked out. Especially after I'd heard that blood-chilling howl. 

"I'm going to have nightmares for months." Scott said, but I could see that's not the whole truth. He won't admit it but I think he thought it was pretty cool too.

"That is freaking awesome! I mean, this is seriously going to be the best thing that's happened to this town since... Since the birth of Lydia Martin. Hey Lydia!" Stiles smoothly changed the subject when Lydia walked right past us, her strawberry blonde locks bouncing as she moved. "You look... like you're going to ignore me." 

I actually feel a bit sad for Stiles. He's had a crush on Lydia for several years and she's barely aware of his existence. Well, that's no surprise since she's one of the popular girls. Stiles, Scott and I... we were pretty much as opposite of popular you could get.

"You two are the cause of this, you know? Draggin' me down in your nerd depths. I'm a nerd by association." Stiles put the blame on us, pointing one finger at the both of us.

"Yeah buddy, you can blame it on us all you want" I said, wrapping my arm around his shoulders as I began  to walk up the stairs. "But I wasn't like this six years ago. I've lived with you those six years, just sayin'." I concluded as we passed the doors and entered the building.

***

We were sitting in English class, in the back, listening to our teacher talking about the body. I, Stiles and Scott looked at each other knowingly in the back of the classroom. It was nothing new to us, only that they apparently had a suspect now. I liked sitting as far back as possible because then I wouldn't have anyone staring at me from behind. If they wanted to do it now, they would have to turn around in their chairs and that would be a bit awkward.