Chapter 1

Almost everyone wakes up every morning confused. They don't know where they are. How they got there. Why they woke up. What time it is. But not me.
I wake up every morning feeling safe. Because every morning I wake up in the arms of my amazing boyfriend.
Jack is the protective type. He hates the fact that my home life isn't good.
My mom got in a car accident just a few years ago, and died. My dad is an alcoholic. He drinks from the second he wakes up to the second he falls asleep. He started hitting me right after my mom died.
I was way to scared to say something. But once they bruises got worst, there was no hiding. The first person to find out was jack. The second person is my best friend, Shawn.
Shawn has been my best friend since 3rd grade. He knows everything about me. And has always been by my side since we met.
I basically live with jack now. He couldn't stand that I was living in that hell hole. We have been dating for five years now, and we both are seniors this year.
And now, I have to get out of bed and get ready to start my first day of senior year.
I carefully sit up and remove jacks arm around my waist. I lean down and kiss jack on the forehead. He looks so peaceful. I slowly crawl out of bed and start looking for an outfit to wear.
It seemed almost impossible to find the right one, but eventually I settled on a royal blue v neck t-shirt, that I tucked in to my white jean shorts. I walked over to jacks closet, and pulled out my vans.
*Beep, beep, beep, beep* jacks alarm screamed. Jack quickly sat up and turned it off. Once his eyes settled he looked at me and said,"good morning beautiful." And just like that I had a stupid smile on my face from ear to ear.
"Good morning handsome!" I say back hoping it makes him smile just as much, and sure enough it did.
I walked over to jack and gave him a passionate kiss on the lips. He truly is handsome, he just woke up and has crazy bed head. "How about we just skip?" Jack asked.
"Jack, it's the first day we are not skipping, as much as I want to just lay in bed with you all day, we can't." I was always a straight A student and my grade were the one thing that I was always proud of.

I look at jacks alarm clock, it's 6:30 now. "Get up you lazy bum and shower, it's almost time to go." Jack does as I say and right before he walks out he says, "How about you come join me?"
Jack has been saying a lot of sexual things lately. We haven't even had sex yet. Maybe this is his way of saying that he wants to.
I don't want it to seem like I don't want to so I say, "I would love to babe, but I have to finish getting ready." A frown now covers jacks face as he said "okay" and then walks away.
I don't even know how to have sex. Jack is the only guy I have ever been with. I wish he would just tell me if he wanted to instead of saying dirty things like that.

I brush it off, and walk to the mirror and start to straighten my hair. About 5 minutes later my dark brown hair is pin straight. I pull out my make up bag start to apply eyeliner and then mascara. I'm pretty satisfied with how it looks so I walk downstairs to see that Jack made pancakes and bacon for us. Again I have a big stupid grin on my face.
Without saying anything we both stuff our faces with pancakes and bacon. When we finish we both grab our bags and walk out to Jack's car.
Before we know it, we arrive at school. Jack parks the car and we both hop out. Jack runs over to me and grabs my hand. His hand is hot and sweaty. It seems like he's almost nervous.
We walk up the stairs in unison and when we get to the door Jack lets go of my hand and holds the door open for me.
I walk in and take and deep breath.
This is it.
I immediately grab ahold of jacks hand as soon as he comes through the door. "Man, I did not miss this place one bit." I hear someone around me say. I agree.
Me and Jack walk over to the line to get our schedules.
When it's my turn the old lady behind the table asks what my name is. I look at her so familiar face and say, "Ava cooper"
She smiles and then looks through her stack of papers and hands me mine. I thank her and step out of the way for Jack to get his.
Once Jack got his we walked away from the table and compared our schedules.
Nothing.
Just great.
Jack could tell that I was upset. After all Jack and Shawn are my only friends. I have never been good at making friends.
Jack lifted up my chin with his soft hand and kisses me. His lips feel like home to me.
I suddenly feel so much better. Jack pulls away and looks me in the eyes.
"Ava Grace" I love it when Jack uses my middle name. "Don't worry we can meet new people and still make this year great. I'll see you at 2:15 princess. I love you." God. He still knows how to make get chills from his words.
"I love you Jack" I say followed with a deep kiss.
I take a deep breath and walk away.
I look at my schedule again. Awesome. Math first period. Just how I love to start my days.
I start walking to class and on my way I see Shawn. I pick up my pace and catch up to him. I grab him by the arm and he quickly shoots around to my direction.
"Hey! Why are you so jumpy?" I ask Shawn.

I just hate this goddamn place!"Shawn responds sounding annoyed.

"I know how you feel.. Hey let me see your schedule!" Shawn puts his hand in his pocket and pulls out his schedule and slowly hands it to me.

I unfold it as quick as I can, eager to know if we have classes to together. Once I get it open I my eyes skim the piece of paper as fast as they can.
And sure enough we have 4 classes together!
I start to smile.

"Shawn! We have math, English, studio art, and chorus together!"
Shawn smiles back and puts his arm around me.
"We better go to math now! I heard our teacher is a total bitch!"
I smile up at Shawn and start walking.

"It doesn't matter, as long as I have my best friend by my side!"