Hopeless is not Devoid of Hope

For the past decade, an extensive and savage war ravaged the world of Athephis, the 14th Outlander War. The Holy Altrasian Empire battled against the industrialized Ikratian Empire to the West. Mioltron, and Lausun to the East, and the barbaric exiles, identified as the Outlanders, in the North. The northernmost nation, Galacia had started to get overwhelmed by the Outlanders sheer numbers and win-or-die methods. The Petilo Isle Republic's massive navy, the largest in the world, bombard the Great Lausun Fleet in a desperate attempt to aid their Altrasian allies in the Goltuk Sea.

Of all this struggle, strife, of the millions of casualties, the bloodiest was the Western Front. The specially trained Arcanean Knights from the Altrasian Empire fought valiantly against the elite Black Demon Legion of Ikrate. Holy Blade versus Infernal Spears, Grand Knights against Cavalry Hordes, meanwhile, the small country of Zarinas is wedged between the two powerhouses.

Out of the numerous, ferocious clashes in the West, North, and East, the Battle of the Rakvictus Woods claimed the most. The lives of nearly a million were lost in the time frame of a month, both combatants and innocent bystanders.

It all sprang into action when the Altrasians intercepted an Ikratian message. They were advancing on the city of Inegras. Inegras had remained in the hands of Zarinas for centuries, ever since King Telsve had proclaimed sovereignty from Ikrate. The considerable and dense, yet lush forest besieged the city on all but one side, which contained the city port.

The radiant and vivid culture that the people of Inegras enjoyed was about to witness an extreme turn. The Ikratians moved with fiery determination and greed. The Altrasians marched with haste to stop them and protect their ally. Leading the Holy Army of Justice was none other than Krithen Belique, one of the 7 Great Altrasian Generals.

●------------------------๑◟︵✥︵◞๑------------------------●

13th of Kavitu

23rd Evrectum A.C.

Dusk

A lone man leaned against a rock, surveying a vast stretch of dense woodlands. The glistening metal of his chainmail shone among the last rays of flickering sunlight. He altered his posture, causing the polished iron links and plate to clink against each other. The soldier stood on a large plateau overlooking an ancient forest. The dark green canopy of leaves looked like an ocean. He could smell the salty ocean even though it had been carried by the wind for miles. The man could even catch the wondrous sent of Inegras' rich foods. It made his mouth water at the thought of it.

What felt like hours had passed before the man moved once more. After urging himself up away from the rock he had been leaning on, the man adjusted his cloak. The finely tailored fabric was dyed midnight blue. In the center of the cape was a silver crescent moon with crossed spears behind it. The edge of the cloth had been embroidered gold, signaling him as a captain. A cavalry captain.

The soldier rested his hand on the hilt of his longsword. The weapon hung close to his hip. The light air, as well as the setting sun, implemented a serene aura. Birds trilled harmoniously overhead, flying to and fro.

His face was rough and ridgid, wrinkled. Scars covered his skin where his armor did not. He seemed to be in his early forties. His shoulder-length hair and goatee had been grayed from age. Squinting, the man could see dark gray clouds looming ominously on the horizon. The sun had set.

Swift and heavy footfalls followed by the clanking of armor burst from behind the first soldier. He turned sharply to come face to face with another soldier. They both wore the same armor with the same insignia on their cloaks. The newcomer was many years younger, appearing to be 20 summers old. His skin was much more clear than the senior. The boy's hair had been cut short, his green eyes full of youthful energy.