1

"Forgive me Father,"

The words were not sincere or genuine.

"For I have sinned."

There were very discreet ways to tell, just by looking in the victims eyes. The way the old man's irises were unconcentrated, straying from her own. His pupils were dilated, signicating mistrust.

It was either that or Lux's trust issues were kicking in.

She squinted at him, a sad lump of flesh in a priest's clerical collar at her feet, kneeling, pleading. Meanwhile her eyes were void of any positive emotion, replaced with disdain.

"It's funny how you're the one pleading now." She said, chuckling darkly. "I wonder... did you listen to any of your victims cries, Padre?"

She leaned closer, whispering in his ear. "Did you think about your God then?"

"Please. Have mercy."

His voice was trembling, a mixture of bile and tears trickled down his face. Lux cringed in disgust.

"Funny."

She spat, blowing smoke into his face, and in seconds Lux's knife was lodged into his chest.

It was seldom she asked people 'the question' anymore, she simply read their souls, tested their hearts, and judged them accordingly. Lux had been told she had very good judgement.

You had to, for this job.

She scoffed as he dissipated into nothing but the red of his soul, and drifted away to eternal punishment. Plucking her knife from the ground, and exiting the three story church via fire escape.

This was how her dreams ended on most nights, she always knew what to do, and what to say. As if this was second nature to her. Then, some nights, it was like she didn't have any type of control. But rather, something was controlling her. Something dark, evil even.

That was when the voice boomed in her head louder than ever. It picked up on things like dark dreams, dark thoughts, any negative emotion Lux had.

It knew, and it fed on it. She wheezed into consciousness, coughing, choking for air, clutching and clawing at her throat. She sat up, tears of frustration itched her cheeks, and her hands shot to her ears as the voice took over.

Now, wasn't that a pleasant little dream?

She shook her head, flashes of violence spurred through her mind.

"Lovely. Can I request another pleasantry? Get the hell outta my head!"

Oh hush. You love my company, you need me to survive.

"That's actually funny.."

Lux smirked through the ringing pain in her head, swinging her legs out the bed. She made her way to her feet and met the ground almost instantly.

Clumsy duckling.

"Shut. Up."

She lifted herself off the ground, and started a slow trek to the bathroom. She reached the sink, clutching the sides of the basin. Her reflection was flawed. Her hair was messy, her cinnamon skin was greasy from the oils of her scalp, and maybe, sweat. She splashed water on her face, trying to conceal the imperfections, ran a hand through her rough and twisted curls, before sighing, and brushing her teeth.

The voice was silent now, whatever the reason. Lux thanked everyone god that may be listening. She used deodorant, too lazy to take a shower.

Why, you ask? She would feel so much better after a shower?

It was how she worked.

She dressed, in clothes slightly cleaner than anything else she had. She grabbed leftover toast from the morning before, and left.