Chapter Two

When I got home later, my dad was not happy with my appearance. After I got washed up and decent, he needed to run into town to get one thing he had forgotten, so I went with him. We were about to head back home when he decided to stop in at this little pub to speak with a friend of his. I sat down on a bar stool and looked around. I suddenly felt eyes on me and when I turned, I saw the little girl, with her father, in a corner of the pub. She was clutching her doll and pointing at me.

I quickly turned when her father turned around to look at me. I didn't know what was going to happen next but I felt as if it wasn't going to be good. My dad walked back up front and as we were about to leave, we were stopped by our new neighbor.

"Excuse me, sir, but my daughter just informed me of what your son did for her today and I wanted to thank him and ya," he said, sticking out his hand.

My dad looked down at me, confused, "What did he do?"

"He helped my little girl get her dolly back. Two boys had taken it from her and he got them to give it back."

I looked away from them as I felt a small hand touch my shoulder. It was the girl. Her blonde hair was still in her face. The same dirty dress was on. But her eyes were as blue and as rich as the ocean. I smiled at her. She hid behind her dad.

My dad and her dad shook hands and introduced themselves, "I'm Bobby and this is my youngest son, Niall."

"Nice to meet ya, I'm Dylan, and this is my daughter, Siobhan." The girl glanced up at my dad and then back at me. "Say, hello, sweetheart," her dad said, nudging her.

"H-h-h-hi," she whispered.

My dad nudged my shoulder, "Don't be rude."

"Hi," I said back.

She came out from behind her dad and held her hand out. I looked down at it and reached my own hand out for hers. I looked up as our hands met so that once again my eyes met hers. She had pushed her hair behind her ear and I could see her face better. There was a little dirt on the tip of her nose. Without realizing it, I licked my finger and wiped the dirt away.

"Ew!" She screeched.

"Niall, you don't just wipe your hands on people," my dad said.

"Sorry, dad, I was just getting the dirt off her nose."

"You still don't do that, son. My apologies," my dad said to Dylan and we left. As we walked past the window, I could see her face pressed against it. I looked at her and she waved and smiled. I lifted my hand in a wave and smiled back at her.