The White Room

Maria saw them entering the white room eagerly and sighed enviously. She had only just left and already the effect was wearing off. Life seemed so positive and happy just a few moments ago but now she was faced with twelve hours long slog keeping the fuel coming to power the generators that kept the underground going. No fuel meant no power, no power meant death. The underground relied on unceasing power for everything, fresh air, heat, light, food. Power was life. It also kept the white rooms functioning which kept the majority of people from going crazy. Twelve hours in the white room where you could escape from reality and live in your dreams. Dreams were always perfect, just what you needed.

< Hey you!!

Maria turned and saw the Sentinel looking at her.

> Yes? she answered.

< You look like you're too young to be down here.

> I'm 22. 

< Exactly! What on earth are you doing down this low??

> This was my assignment.

< Name? he asked irately.

> Maria Pacciorak

< Ok, just wait while I check.

He pulled out his notebook and entered her name. He read for a few moments and frowned. He tapped away at the screen for a few minutes and his expression changed to vexation. Finally he stabbed at the screen a few more times and his face eased into a slight grimace.

< Another senseless mistake. You have a new assignment, go up to level three and join the catering crew. You will be assigned there permanently so don't come down here again.

> Ok, replied Maria, confused. 

Maria didn't know what had upset the Sentinel so much. She hadn't done anything wrong as far as she knew. She had been working on level 7 for the last six months and no one had queried it. She was strong and healthy so she wasn't surprised when she had bee assigned to a digging level. Still, she reflected, it would be nice on level three working in catering, far less dirt to deal with. Also it was closer to the White Room level which was also a bonus. She smiled and headed to the elevator to take her to a higher cleaner level.